Rcd Saves A Fencing Contractors Life

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
A fine example of why you SHOULD NOT clip swa to a fence

fence cable2 (2).jpg

fence cable2 (1).jpg

He used a battery operated reciprocating saw to lop off the arris rails & the 6" nails, done from the outside face of the fence so never noticed the 6mm swa to the shed.

Lucky lad!

:slap I just called him a W*****................the home owner wasnt impressed he was plunged into darkness in the shed while repairing a customers radio controlled car gearbox & engine

My neighbour has a flex feeding his pond pump nailed to the bottom of a fence. I asked him to do something about it and he buried it part of the way in a hose pipe...

on a 3036! :slap

Glad the guy is okay but how was he to know? I think he'll be check from now on though. :lol:

there could have been anything the other side of the fence, the idiot should check.

What if it was a sleeping hippie, a hiding terrorist, hibernating animal, gas bottle, bomb, gas pipe, priceless painting.......

Sorry if I am missing something, but the title says "Rcd Saves A Fencing Contractors Life"

If the cable is swa, and the armour was earthed, or even if it wasn't he was still using a battery operated saw which was probably plastic coated or plastic handle how did the rcd save his life?

If the armour was earthed, soon as he cut through that into one of the cores yes, the rcd would trip, but if he cut through the live and the armour the mcb would trip (Ok, with a bang but it was on the other side of the fence)

Ok just for Dick 9

RCD trips but doesn't save a muppet fencing contractors life when he cuts through swa that was foolishly clipped to the fence by a local clown of a sparks.

Better title to the thread Dick?

:rolleyes:

So next time someone drills right through a party wall into a cable, you will come on here and tell us not to clip direct to a party wall?

SWA - Buried, Clipped or whatever it's never going to 100% indestructible, but it's better than a bit of T&E or Flex clipped along the fence.

Its like cutting through floorboards and cutting plumbers pipes at the same time, it happens.

So for that last meter or so befor it enters the shed, what would everyone else have done?

I would have clipped it to the fence or side of shed.

If the fencing muppet bothered to look over the fence they would have seen the SWA go to and leave the fence.

Where do you think that the fencing contractor comes in this chart?

Evolution.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: