Rcd With Fuse Spur

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrics_new

Reaction score
Good Morning everyone,

I was wondering if someone could sanity check my proposal.  I am new to the trade and want to do things right.

Went to a customers house yesterday who wants an external socket and security light.

He has no RCD on his CU or free space.

He has a existing spur off a socket in the kitchen that goes to a utility room. The utility room socket is used that much and has easy access to the outside wall on which he wants his socket and security light installed.

I proposed the following:

1. The existing spur we have I put a 13amp fuse spur with an RCD.

2. Connect the fuse spur into a back box from which I can use Wago or connectors to wire up the existing spur (this is now connected to the 13amp fuse spur, so I can spur off it again).

3. I can also connect the outside IP rated double socket (which will now be RCD protected)

4. For the outside light put in another fuse spur with a 6AMP fuse and connect the outside security light to this.

All new connection for the outside are RCD protected. I run the cable in some conduit and so it's mechanically protected.

The existing spur is also protected via an RCD.

Issue a minor works certificate - job done.

Can someone please advise ?

Thanks

Can the cu take an rcbo?

Install an rcd next to the cu & run the socket circuit through the rcd, then extend the circuit making external socket part of the ring (assuming it is a ring) put in fcu for the light.

Or do as you have said.

Thanks for the reply M107.  Issue is that the customer has no spare ways on the DB. Also, don't want to go to the cost of changing the DB. But I want to make want I do safe and complaint.  I know you said do as I say but do you see anything fundmentially floored with my plan.

Thanks in advance.

No no no you dont undestand.

• change the current mcb of the socket circuit for an rcbo.
or

• remove the socket circuit legs from the mcb/3036, fit an enclosure next to the cu, run 6mm from the mcb to the enclosure, fit an rcd in the enclosure, 6mm to supply side of rcd, ring final legs to the load side of rcd. Extend ring to include extra socket & fcu fit external light off of fcu.
or

• do your method, not the tidy way all the fcu's & one being a bulky rcd unit & not the way I would go about it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi e-n

You don't need a spare way, if you replace the mcb with an RCBO, as M107 recommends. This will then give you RCD protection for the whole circuit, not just the modified bit. My standard RCBO is taller than the mcb, but there should be room for it. If not, you could fit one of my Compact RCBOs, which are the same size as an mcb. It might need a little bit of re-arranging of the busbar set-up, but it would be a more logical approach to your problem.

SBS Dave

[email protected]

Latest posts