"reading" Glasses For An Electrician.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have heard that there are now contact lenses that will solve your problem.

Its done by having one lens corrected for distance and the other for reading. Your brain overcomes this dilemma in a short time.

The wife knows of a couple who have had this done. The male thinks its great but the female cannot cope.

Well just to finish this off, I went back to the optician yesterday.

They declare my "reading glasses" are correct and doing their function. They are only "supposed" to work over a range of 12 to 18".

They then told me that what I want are mid range work glasses, which they are happy to test for and provide, but as there's no NHS contribution to these they would start at £170

I'll be going to the pound shop instead.

I don't think the prescription "tested" mid range vision.  The prescription covered distance and the distance glasses they provided are fine.  The prescription also covered "reading" and they say the "reading" glasses are fine, but I still dispute that, unless I want to sit at my desk and read the entire contents of the yellow pages.

But there's no mention of a prescription for "intermediate"

I got the distinct impression this is not covered by the free NHS eye test, and if I want intermediate glasses I would have to pay for the test and then pay for the glasses.

So I shan't be bothering. Just another pair of self select ones for working. 

possibly true, you might well need a new test. But even a full new test (at £21 from specsaver) plus a new glasses is more like £45, not £170.... 

For what it is worth I just had my eyes tested and discussed the difference between reading glasses and mid range glasses with the optician. My eyes have got about 0.75 diopters worse over the last 5 years and his comment was "if I was to recommend mid range glasses the prescription would be pretty much what you have on at the moment".

The implication being that the presecription was just like my normal range glasses just slightly weaker.

Unfortunately for me that means that, when I get my new distance glasses I might suddenly find I need a seperate pair for reading and computers which I don't need at the moment :(  

I think your post highlights the difference between a "normal" optician, and specsavers.  If I can't find any self select ones that are any good, then I'll be going to specsavers to see what they can offer.

indeed. I was talking to a friend last night. He paid £250ish for his specs (albiet varifocals) at an independant. I just paid £85 for two pairs from specsavers. I have to admit I find their service a bit hit and miss but for that saving I'll put up with that.

I did notice one think with specsavers though. The guy tested me for normal, computer and reading glasses so he could sell me them any time without retesting. However the prescription he gave me only had the basics on it (not even the adjustment for near or in the inter-pupil distance). So it isn't much good if I want to get some reading glasses anywhere else. Of course all that extra necessary stuff will be on their computer so they have effectively just tied me in to getting my glasses from them (or a retest somewhere else of course.....).

Last edited by a moderator:
Missus wears glasses for reading; and has another pair of prescription glasses for the computer - apparently, they`re totally different.

However, with either pair, if she gets up from the chair, she has to take them off; else she can`t focus on anything! 

Dunno if thats any good - I don`t, and haven`t ever, had a problem with my eyes - touch wood.

Latest posts