Repacing consumer unit that has solar PV, question ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, I would doubt the installer has complied with manufacturers instructions,I'd hazard a guess your RCD is 30mA, SMA instructions state a minimum 100mA protection.

I cant remember what page it is, but its there, :)
It's on page 26 of the Installation Guide: http://www.rexelrenewableenergy.co.uk/FileDepository/TechDocs/Inverters/SMA%20Sunny%20Boy%20Installation%20Guide%20-%203000TL%203000TL%205000TL.pdf

"If an external RCD or residual current breaker is strictly required, you must use a switch that triggers

at a failure current of 100 mA or higher."

Yes the RCD will operate as it should thats what the tests would show him, what they dont show is that the RCD split that is supposedly now disconnected is still being fed by the inverter for upto 5 seconds until it shuts down. Understand?
Yeah I understand that.

I'll do a bit of reading of the regs posted up by kme so I have the info I need to back up my case.

Can I just clarify....You can't feed the solar pv into a RCBO ....So if I had a full RCBO board I would have to fit a standard MCB for the solar pv connection ?

Cheers.

It's on page 26 of the Installation Guide: http://www.rexelrenewableenergy.co.uk/FileDepository/TechDocs/Inverters/SMA%20Sunny%20Boy%20Installation%20Guide%20-%203000TL%203000TL%205000TL.pdf"If an external RCD or residual current breaker is strictly required, you must use a switch that triggers

at a failure current of 100 mA or higher."

Yeah I understand that.

I'll do a bit of reading of the regs posted up by kme so I have the info I need to back up my case.

Can I just clarify....You can't feed the solar pv into a RCBO ....So if I had a full RCBO board I would have to fit a standard MCB for the solar pv connection ?

Cheers.
No, as you stated earlier,,, the manual says that it must be protected by a RCD

The manual says:

"If an external RCD or residual current breaker is strictly required...."

Is an RCD required for the PV if the cables are clipped on top of the wall and not in the wall?

If an RCD is required how would you go on with a full RCBO board? (Assume for the purpose of the answer there is no room to site a separate board for the PV.)

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
wizzer you are asking a lot of questions which are beyond the usual from those expected from the general public, and you appear to be very well informed as to the compliance, not only with BS 7671 but with the stated manufacturer's instructions.

There are fundamental faults in the advise given by third party involvement, these are being addressed as we speak, our very own member KME could take some responsibility for this rethink.

If you are unhappy with any aspect of your install then please post that complaint here, we would be happy to advise, however remember you should only make your worries or complaint to the installer.

"you are asking a lot of questions which are beyond the usual from those expected from the general public, and you appear to be very well informed as to the compliance, not only with BS 7671 but with the stated manufacturer's instructions."

I'll take that as a compliment, thanks.

I'm only well informed as you put it because I can read, nothing more, I've read a lot of posts on this forum & on others regarding the installation of solar PV....I've also got a copy of the manufactures instruction in front of me, .....I'm just interested that's all.....that's ok isn't it?

Personally I think the questions I'm asking and the answers being given will be of help to others that may read this thread.

My installation is fine, I'm not unhappy with it, however it does appear that it should have been wired to the non RCD side of the consumer unit, a point that you will see from reading this thread that I raised with the installer and who in turn raised it with the inspector, however the answer I was given didn't satisfy me so that why I asked for some hard evidence (official documentation stating what the guys on here were telling me) so I could raise the point again but this time with something to back up what I was saying because although the installer may also think I'm well informed he's not going to take my word for it as I'm not wearing the inspector's badge!

Cheers.

what you need to do wizzer is raise a complaint with the installers registration body?

who is he registered with?

if enough complaints get registered then they will have to take more notice, at the minute they are only dealing with them on an isolated case by case basis.

we need more complaints going to them so we can sort this out from within, rather than one at a time.

Hi,

the installer is MCS registered and NICEC registered.

I understand your point that the more complaints they receive the more notice they will take, however I believe that complaints from Joe public will carry little weight, how would we know it wasn't correctly installed unless you were a good reader like me ;) ....IMHO they need to be receiving the complaints from registered Electricians that can explain exactly why the installation doesn't comply and questioning why the PV installers are installing the system this way.

Cheers.

Latest posts