Reviews Of New All Metal Cu's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have started this thread for people to post reviews as they fit different makes of the new all metal CU's so we can compare the good the bad and the awkward.

I'll start with my first one fitted today.

A Hager 10 way split dual RCD board

It has several large cable knock outs in the back, great for new installs or CU changes where all the wires enter through the wall.

There were 8 rectangular knock outs, 4 in the top and 4 in the bottom, two near each end. Not really enough in my opinion for an all surface install.

The grommet strip supplied was absolute rubbish, far too small in profile awkward to get it over the edge and you only have to cough and it falls off.

The two meter tails and an earth fit through one of the bottom rectangular knock outs.  Having rejected the lousy bit of grommet strip, I found lurking in my odds and sods box a 30mm grommet that fitted nicely.

Usual Hager switchgear, set a bit lower in the box than normal so very little room under the mcb's but plenty of room above.

Bad points:

Not enough top and bottom knock outs, NO side knock outs, and not a single round knock out anywhere to be seen so if you intend to terminate SWA you better be ready to drill a round hole for the gland.

The lack of decent knock outs puts this a long way from the top of my list right now.

Top idea , this is just what the Forum excels at .

Metal boards !!........I won't be fitting any  until after  00.01 hrs on Jan 1 2016 .  

Just realised that my house already complies , 20 yrs ago I ordered a board to fit on the Sunday ,   unpacked it to find it was a metal C/tree Starbreaker instead of plastic ...had to fit it ...it has a plastic front though ...I now live in fear of it self igniting  :innocent

I estimate that in my working life , I have fitted approx. 3000  consumer units ,  some wood based , most plastic .  It now appears that they are all overdue to burst into flames .   I have probably fitted more metal boards , industrial & commercial ....praise the Lord they won't be exploding any day soon.

Just a few weeks ago I fitted a large Hager metal backed, plastic fronted CU in my new house.  It was brilliant. A whole row of 20mm round knock outs along the top and bottom, big rectangular knock outs in the back, 32mm round knock outs in both ends.

Why they just could not have kept that proven, versatile easy to use format and stuck a metal front on it, but no they have to go and mess it up.

Other complaints, the old one has a proper threaded nut pressed into each side for the threaded screws of the lid to screw into. Todays one the lid fixes with self tappers into holes in the brackets.

Lets hope we get some more reviews of different makes.

Metal boards !!........I won't be fitting any  until after  00.01 hrs on Jan 1 2016 .  

Same here, but, for me it will be about 08:00 on the 4th Jan because I ain't working until then in the New Year, and if any designs are done & quoted before then, they will be using plastic boards too even if they are installed after.

Same here, but, for me it will be about 08:00 on the 4th Jan because I ain't working until then in the New Year, and if any designs are done & quoted before then, they will be using plastic boards too even if they are installed after.
Well,,,, I've been fitting metal CU's for almost the last 6 months.... some might say that I'm daft,,, however I say that there's more profit in them :)

and I've not lost a CU change that I've priced in the last 6 months either :) :) :)

As we've  said before , domestic metal boards have been foisted upon us by people on committees not identifying the source of the problem .

There are milions of plastic boards (& even wooden based Wylex's )  that never burst into flames  so what has changed ?

1)    Sub standard  Components ,no longer made in Britain, although listed as BS , Prompting recalls from previously trusted manufactures which fail

under load. 

2)    An inexperienced, college trained workforce , not coming through the tried & tested apprenticship system , who don't tighten terminals up  properly  

or are relying upon torque screwdrivers instead of wanging them up tight then giving them a good pull. 

No need for metal boards ....just do it properly .  How come plastic is still OK for commercial use ? 

Fitted my first metal CU (customer supplied) and was pleasantly surprised. BG 10 way dual RCD. Rear knockouts worked fine. A number of 20mm and 2 x 25mm knockouts top and bottom - none on the side. Handy level built in. Grommet strip provided - but would recommend supergluing in place. Nice finish and found it easier than the plastic BG units where the rear cutouts are just a bit to hard to do with a Stanley knife. Rigid and no alignment issues. One slight oddity - the no 10 earth terminal is already in use as a stud to the casing. Would happily use again.

i would add my review but i havent fitted any yet...

but i did install a small plastic enclosure today. dont worry though, it was in a factory so there is no chance of it bursting into flames