Reviews Of New All Metal Cu's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big problem with most of these new fangled metal AM3 boards is that they look shoddy (like old biscuit tins as my mate Dave says

Mmmmm maybe aesthetics, or maybe he did mean athletics and this whole domestic Metal CU was all thought up by some "dope"

I know. Haha. Gets me so many times a day.

Back in the day I remember Nokia phones used to autocorrect the word 'mum' to 'nun' every time. I don't know about other members but I tend to use one of those words a hell of a lot than the other.

Blatantly copied and pasted from Ms Clacy's Holiday Funding scheme

Arrived on email,today

Darren's Frequently Asked Questions

Question:

What code should I give a plastic consumer unit not surrounded by non-combustible material after the 1st January 2016?

Answer:

In line with the guidance given in the Electrical Safety First’s Best Practice Guide 4, a code C3 should be given to a plastic consumer unit that is installed in a dwelling under a wooden staircase, or if it is installed in the sole means of escape from the property. If it’s not in one of these two locations there is no need to include it on the EICR. However you may wish to inform your client of the change to regulations.

To be clear, there is no code required for a plastic consumer unit installed in an installation that is not a dwelling

Just saying

I thinknit is a C3 regardless of where it is fittrd.
It would not be a C3 unless it "falls foul" of the regs.

As the regulation regarding these "steel" CU's only applies to dwellings houses and attached outbuildings where there is a chance of fire propagating to the main dwelling, then to code a plastic CU anywhere else would simply be incompetent, illustrating a total lack of understanding of BS7671, or, that you were trying to rip the client off by telling them that their installation was not compliant when it actually was, which is fraudulent.

Last time I checked a C3 can be used to highlight a recommendation that would not meet current regulations but complied when fitted to the regulations of the time and is deemed as safe but could be improved on.

Last time I checked a C3 can be used to highlight a recommendation that would not meet current regulations but complied when fitted to the regulations of the time and is deemed as safe but could be improved on.
That's what the old C4 was all about. Sadly deleted when we changed from a PIR to an EICR.

I will personally follow some proper advice as given in post #56.  I would not "scare" a customer into changing a perfectly good plastic CU for a metal one unless there was something else wrong with it.

Essex, that is correct.

However, as per my last post, the "reg" requiring "steel" cu's ONLY applies to domestic dwellings and attahed outbuildings where there is a risk of fire spreading to the dwelling.

Thus, it does not apply, anywhere, else.

Thus, to code a plastic CU anywhere other than a domestic premises, or attached outbuilding, where there is a risk of fire propagating to the main dwelling would be "against" the reuirements of BS7671.

In the same way you would not apply the requirements for a room with a bath, to a railway station concourse.

Unless that is, you do in your tiny mind apply the requirements of a location containing a bath or shower to a railway station concourse for example, because you don't, really understand the requirements of BS7671 it's associated guidance, and related standards and statute law requirements.

Last edited by a moderator: