Reviews Of New All Metal Cu's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are a nasty nasty sorry excuse for a man.
Is this the case or is it how you come across sometimes with what you post Essex? I do believe that some of your posts do open you up to be ridiculed, perhaps a change of context will show you in a better light, as I'm sure your not as bad as you come across!

In the wholesaler today & in drops the BG rep with their AMD3 consumer  unit.

Have to say it is the most aesthetically pleasing AMD3 unit I've seen.

• Nice curved edges.
  • Two colours available bright white or off white.
  • Lid is hinged along the bottom edge.
  • Lid holds in the closed position by "snap lugs" (that's the reps term for them)
  • Front cover has retained screws so no loosing them.
  • Multiple knock outs 32mm 20mm & curved corner rear knock outs.
  • Built in spirt level.
  • Loads of internal room.
  • loaded 10 way dual rcd £60.
One negative I pointed out to the rep ko's above & below the main switch  are only 20mm they should have put the 32mm ko's there instead on in the middle of the housing. He said this has been pointed out by user groups & is likely to be changed.

Another thing to be wary off the instead of being inside the cu the  busbar is taped in the bottom of the packaging box under bubble wrap so don't bin the packaging  :innocent  not fun looking for it after the suspended ceiling lads have filled the skip  :Blushing  no really it wasn't fun .

Now will SBS Daves compacts fit in the BG enclosure? 

Is this the case or is it how you come across sometimes with what you post Essex? I do believe that some of your posts do open you up to be ridiculed, perhaps a change of context will show you in a better light, as I'm sure your not as bad as you come across!
Ridicule me all day long. I have very broad shoulders. Views are views and I will always have mine and respect others. What I will never do is resort to pussy name calling and nasty comments.

Ridicule me all day long. I have very broad shoulders. Views are views and I will always have mine and respect others. What I will never do is resort to pussy name calling and nasty comments.
Fecking strange way of complimenting somebody.....maybe it is a southern term of endearment?

I have travelled little,and know nothing of these strange customs

Just saying

Canoeboy said:
He's right, I have a couple of mates from Essex,Not only do they have broad shoulders they have skin like a Rhinoceros  :slap
Thick skinned......... And evenly tanned.

As this post immediately follows mine, I have no choice but to take this as a dig at myself.

Essex,

You REALLY, need to GROW UP and understand the regulations and fundamental principles.

I respect the views of others.

However, your views and comments have been shown to be very lacking in their background arguments.

I am currently suffering from an injury, that makes it difficult for me to use a POC on a desk, and I HATE, using my "i" devices for serious forum posts.

You have already been proven by your posts on here to not understand the broader sphere of electrical engineering upon which you make snide and stupid comments, just to provoke a reaction.

This is "trolling", as a forum, "trolling" is against the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you joined.

Just be aware of this.

Now, as I have told you before.

I don't "do" rail stuff.

I have no desire to do rail stuff.

I don't do lighting design, I have no desire to do lighting design.

Rail is dominated by H&S people upon whose competence I cannot comment upon first hand, so I won't however,I have enough 2nd & 3rd hand comments to know that I don't want to be involved.

Lighting design is not worth doing when you can get it done for free by the lighting suppliers.

So, I am not going to lecture you in railway specific requirements.

I never have.

You however, take it upon yourself to make ridiculous and incorrect statements on legislation, rules and regulations which you patently have no experience of.

When was the last time you did a CE marking consultancy on a machine tool for compliance with the MD?

Ever?

What the hell are you on? I am actually for once speechless. What I actually want to say would not be appropriate.

Good night.

What the hell are you on? I am actually for once speechless. What I actually want to say would not be appropriate.

Good night.
What I am on is being totally fed up with your stupid and incompetent comments on stuff that you patently have no clue about.

So, you being speechless is great, it means that for once you realise that you are out of your depth, and you have at last realised the limits of your competence.

In the wholesaler today & in drops the BG rep with their AMD3 consumer  unit......

• Built in spirt level.
So it can't be used on its side? seems to be an indication that it must be installed level.

Domestic CU change today. I used an Eaton 10 way Dual RCD board

Initial thoughts

Thought the board looked good. Crisp white in colour, rounded profile.  Very modern looking.

Supplied with 1 x 80A RCD and 1 x 63A RCD + 10 x MCB.  I was charged £75 + 

No grommit tape included

Fitting

The board has round knockouts top and bottom.  The majority are 20mm round knockouts.  The larger knockouts are located above and below the main switch.

I used 20mm open grommits.

My grommit tape didn't fit the consumer unit very well.  in fact it was a right so-and-so to get the grommit tape to stay on the larger knockout.

The holes are just too small.  can only just fit 2 x 2.5mm t&e cable throught the 20mm knockout or 1 x 6mm t&e. I only had 6 ccts but used a lot of holes to get the cables in.

It was a battle to get the cables in through the holes in order to offer the CU to the wall to mark the fixings.  Only to have to remove them, drill the fixings and finally fit the board to the wall.

The metal boards get quite heavy to hold after a while battling with cables

The grommit tape kept falling off!

There are three neutral bars in the CU.  left hand side, right hand side and top left.  The earth bar is central across the top.

I had to reconfigure the neutrals from the factory positions.  I used top left and right hand side.  Did this because my cables were a too short to reach and I wanted to avoid joining cables if I didn't have to.

This board could easily be configured for protected/unprotected ways.  RCBO's.  It's very flexible in its configuration.

The good

Nice design

Flexible configuration

Lots of room at the top

It felt 'solid'

The less good

It's a right so-and-so to fit

knockouts too small

not much room at the bottom of the board

I needed a wider/deeper grommit tape then I had on the van

I doubt you would be able to get all of the cables for a fully loaded board in from the top.

only 2 smallish knockouts to the rear.

Bin the strip.......... I picked up a free pack of these from the wholesalers.

http://www.wiska.co.uk/Products/pov/298/QUIXX-membrane-cable-entries-flame-retardant-EMT-F.html

For the rear knock outs I recently used

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/seals-brush-strips/6191506/

On the same job I also used the wiska nylon tails entry gland & the wylex option

Wylex from Toolstation spot on no issues & doesn't look overly obtrusive, having said that it would be better if it were white. It fits the 32mm ko's without the need for an additional reducer nut. 

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p59889?table=no

wiska option is 40mm so you have to enlarge the 32mm knock out or use the 32mm reducer nut.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WKTKP40R32.html

Last edited by a moderator: