rigs and Installing down lights.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacberry22

Reaction score
Hi guy s i have just finished me 2330 level 2 and soon to start my level 3, am currently not working in the electrical industry at the minute but hope to be soon so while I'm sitting around at the min waiting for college to start I'm going to make a few rigs IE, lighting circuits, sockets ring and radial, just wondering if anyone had any ideas? i have to good sizes of marine ply to work on.

also i want to do a down lighting circuit just want to know what drill bit i would need to do the cut, what size and were to get them from and how the circuit would work a wiring diagram would be good.

thanks mick.

buy a cheap piece of clip board rather than plywood.

also get a small 2way cu, and use this... keep the board simple,

DL differ, so buy the DL's then buy the cutter.. buy cheap so get the stuff

from tool station, as it is only a test rig.

Thanks Matt, the ply is spare from a job that my mate had so thought it would be good to use and would last longer, i will take a look at the site you recommended and im definitely keeping it simple and cheap.

Congrats on finishing 2330 level 2!

Im in the same boat as you, i enrolled for level 3 last week,looking forward to it.

I have also been thinking that a test rig would be invaluble in some practice and understanding much more than i already do.

I made a post about my rig, so far ive got 6ft x 4 ft piece of inch think chip board and fitted it to my garage wall,bought a 5 way plastic main switch consumer unit (

just built mine last week just need to wire it up

i start lvl3 in september. :)

Image0184.jpg

Meerkat love the rig have you found it useful. where did you buy your crocodile clips.

cheers

Hi Soulman, crocs are just from a basic DIY stall from the indoor market in Darlington, you can get them from anywhere like that, I have crimped them onto some 2.5mm singles, they come in really handy when testing rings etc, we use them at college on the 2392 course, save a whole lot of time connecting up. cheers (MEERKAT) ;)

Hi Zeespark, this is done intentionally as it mimics the test rig at college, I also wanted to get into the habit of testing older premises that may have MET's fitted.

This is taught at college during the 2392, they want to make sure you understand which conductor is the main earthing conductor when testing continuity of main earth bonds in both situations, and for measuring Ze cheers (MEERKAT) :)

Also Meerkat, just an observation, you wouldnt normally put your earths into a Henley block like that,The above are assuming that you have more than Gas/Water to bond as most CU's these days have terminals for them inside the actual consumer unit.

AndyGuinness
The answer may be staring me in the face likes and i just cant see it but why wouldnt you normaly use a Henley block for your earths?

The answer may be staring me in the face likes and i just cant see it but why wouldnt you normaly use a Henley block for your earths?
Most people just use a MET block (or 'Earth Block' to give it it's TLC name). Much cheaper.

Latest posts