Samsung R530

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to say that I continue to be AMAZED & IMPRESSED by this Ubuntu! No doubt preaching to the converted but the install took a couple of MINUTES for a start!  I opted to install alongside Windows 7. Ubuntu FOUND the wireless adapter that's invisible in Windows AND connected to the net all as part of the setup process.

But..........then told me to eject the Ubuntu disc from the DVD drive and proceeded to boot up into the same problematic windows mode..........where's Ubuntu gone??? No indication of a problem when it said to eject the disc................trying AGAIN!!!

When setup correctly you should on boot up have Screen where you choose your OS, if you don't its not setup correctly.

I found this with latest version so tried older version and it worked.

When setup correctly you should on boot up have Screen where you choose your OS, if you don't its not setup correctly.

I found this with latest version so tried older version and it worked.
No screen where I can "choose" so maybe I'll try a previous Ubuntu version. I'm actually now using the R530 to type this running off the Ubuntu Live DVD thus bypassing the windows install. Straight onto the net after entering the router password so clearly a "Windoze" issue i.e nothing wrong with the hardware.

Want to fix it (the Win7) though as it's bugging me!!!

...........trying again and looking for this exclusive boot screen!

Last edited by a moderator:
can you make an install disc of what you have currently?

W7 I mean,

you could then wipe your HDD and start again with a fresh install, alonside Ubuntu.

hang on, I may have an idea........

The one I have is "Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386"...............in fact what I'm using now..........but from disc as it won't let me install it!

Any suggestions as to what release I should try?

Cheers

What message are you getting trying to install?

Are you trying to dual boot, or use the whole disc?

Have you run a HDD check? If your HDD has too many bad sectors then Ubuntu will abort the install.

I know this from trying (successfully :) ) to fix the nieces laptop a couple of weeks ago, swapped HDD and all OK.

Ubuntu will ask where do you want to put it Steve,

it can then partition your HDD whatever way you want if you need to,

can I suggest

15G for  /

if you use hibernate then equal to RAM as  /swap  , otherwise 2G for /swap

whatever you have left as /home

unless you want to have a shared folder with another OS , then make a /data or /media  and make that as big as you want, with /home maybe 20G or so

oh, and make all your Ubuntu partitions  ext4  , but make your shared partition fat , windoze can only read basic filesystems,  ;)

Ubuntu will ask where do you want to put it Steve,

it can then partition your HDD whatever way you want if you need to,

can I suggest

15G for /

if you use hibernate then equal to RAM as /swap , otherwise 2G for /swap

whatever you have left as /home

unless you want to have a shared folder with another OS , then make a /data or /media and make that as big as you want, with /home maybe 20G or so

oh, and make all your Ubuntu partitions ext4 , but make your shared partition fat , windoze can only read basic filesystems, ;)
I don't think it did when we installed it and that's why we could not get it to offer which OS at boot.

Windows 7 MBR takes charge every time. We finally got it to work using an Ubuntu program for changing partitions. I think the problem was the machine already had W7 on it. A fresh format and install Ubuntu first then W7 would have been a better option. I took all weekend to get it working but we got there in the end.

The ideal way is use Ubuntu live to wipe the disc and make the partitions,

Then install windows on the partition you made for it, fat probably,

Then install Ubuntu on the other partition and make logical partitions for the other parts of Ubuntu,

The big advantage of this is you can completely re-install your OS's and keep all your files, photos etc still intact on the HDD.

Oh, that is if you made a 3rd primary for /media (or whatever you called it)

What message are you getting trying to install?

Are you trying to dual boot, or use the whole disc?

Have you run a HDD check? If your HDD has too many bad sectors then Ubuntu will abort the install.

I know this from trying (successfully :) ) to fix the nieces laptop a couple of weeks ago, swapped HDD and all OK.
No error message as such. Win7 is already on the laptop but has issues. Was hoping to end up with a dual boot system. Anyway, I insert the Ubuntu DVD and restart the pc. It boots up from the DVD and I get two options, to just try Ubuntu or install. If I choose to try, it loads the Ubuntu desktop and EVERYTHING works a treat. I can even run the laptop WITHOUT the HDD in (like a BIG tablet). If I choose to install Ubuntu then there's the options of installing alongside Win7 thus keeping that intact or installing and getting rid of Win7. I chose to install alongside and all seems to be going well. Then I get a message to remove the DVD and restart but NO hint of an error / issue. I do so and it reverts to Windows. No sign of Ubuntu being on there.

Can I do the HDD check from the LIVE DVD?

On another note I've bagged a mini Acer 10" netbook thing where the DC jack is toast. IF I can repair it then that will hopefully be a dedicated Linux machine (my first). The guy only wanted the data from it so I put the original HDD in a USB caddy that cost me I think £9 from PC World. He said to keep the netbook! Managed to get the DC jack for a few quid. Guessing a new 2.5" HDD will be circa £30.............so I'll have a load more questions as I get dragged kicking and screaming over to Linux!

Yes, you can check the HDD from live DVD, its under the top left icon, cant remember the application name right now,

Possibly disc utility or similar, its really straightforward, you may have to unmount the HDD, but it will tell you if its needed to be done, and simply click the unmount icon.

top left icon  > DASH HOME > DISC UTILITY > SELECT DISK > RUN SMART TEST
Don't appear to have that option........................

DASH HOME gives me RECENT APPS then have HELP / THUNDERBIRD MAIL / MOVIE PLAYER / TEXT EDITOR / CALCULATOR / RHYTHMBOX CALCULATOR

& that's it!