shafted again!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpend

"It Just Is"
Reaction score
My ECS card ran out in February so thought I best renew it.

So chose the option to do it in the comfort of my own home with my own laptop at a convenient time (10.15pm last night).
The H&S test is 50 questions, at a cost of £54.
Having successfully passed, i then had to renew the card.
Renewal of card cost £42,
So near £100 for what? the questions are so ridiculously easy that they really are not meaningful.

I'm sure when i did it in 2020 it was circa £35 for test and £35 for renewal, and that was going to a test centre with human invigilators and real costs.
I guess if I ask it's probably Covid or the War in Ukraine the reason for the silly prices, or have the JIB been on strike for a pay rise?

spanked again, i am getting so tired of being spanked by every company out there and not being able to be the Spanker when it comes to my prices.

rant over.............................................................

...................for now!

So chose the option to do it in the comfort of my own home with my own laptop at a convenient time (10.15pm last night).
So near £100 for what? the questions are so ridiculously easy that they really are not meaningful.

I'm sure when i did it in 2020 it was circa £35 for test and £35 for renewal, and that was going to a test centre with human invigilators and real costs.
I guess if I ask it's probably Covid or the War in Ukraine the reason for the silly prices, or have the JIB been on strike for a pay rise?

spanked again, i am getting so tired of being spanked by every company out there and not being able to be the Spanker when it comes to my prices.

I'm retiring, fed up of supporting spankers incomes.

I wished I could, I am actually thinking about changing career only haven’t quite decided what I fancy doing.
I planned to retire at 50, when I first started work. As it happens life and circumstances scuppered that over the decades, but I'm 58 soon, and my pensions are enough to make retirement an option. I'm truly happy about that, 'wear and tare' or arthritis to give it it's proper name is starting to take it's toll on me. The joy of hard work and lugging lots of solar panels... If I had to continue working I would take on a job that is less harmful to the body, like stacking shelves in a supermarket or B&Q, or security guard. Ideally I would go back to a desk job, but having been out of an office for nearly 20 years, I doubt that's really an option.

Ditto.

In my last 14 months now ...........

Looking forward to more "me" time and holidays
We have bought a motorhome and will be traveling a lot. I will actually miss working, but I've got loads of DIY to do at home and mum needs stuff doing at her house, which I'm looking forward to doing, as I will have the time to do it.

NB if the government thinks they can get me back to being 'economically active' they couldn't be more wrong if they tried 😃

We have bought a motorhome and will be traveling a lot. I will actually miss working, but I've got loads of DIY to do at home and mum needs stuff doing at her house, which I'm looking forward to doing, as I will have the time to do it.

NB if the government thinks they can get me back to being 'economically active' they couldn't be more wrong if they tried 😃

Motorhome - got many trips planned? Not sure I would get the misses in one which is a huge shame as I'd like to drive the NC 500

Economically active - I will be very - out spending my pension and savings ;)

Motorhome - got many trips planned? Not sure I would get the misses in one which is a huge shame as I'd like to drive the NC 500

Economically active - I will be very - out spending my pension and savings ;)
Did the NC500 last Autumn, great road trip. Lots of other trips planned, but staying in UK for this year..

Been retired for over ten years, how did I ever have time to work, seem to be busier now that I ever was when working.
I have about a years worth of decorating to do! :D

I shall not be inactive, that is for certain. I like little upcycling projects, which get sold for a few extra quid - covers beer money. I also intend to get involved in 'green projects' such as tree planting, restoring my motorcycle which has been off road for many years, and anything else that takes my fancy.

Totally agree with you ,feel its just a money making monopoly .H&S assessment on my card meant absolutely Jack Sh#t when going to a new site ,as they made you go thr"o a 1+hr induction test ,on H&S .
Like you, my SJIB card ran out in FEB was put thro to select and was told I req to resit my C&G 2391 ,and a load of others to get my New replacement Gold SJIB ESCS Gold card at cost of £1500 ,Load of Boll#cks .
SELECT Money Making exercise .Like having to resit your driving test again because your car comes with parking sensors !!! Asked recent mature student electrician with latest qualifications how many amps in 1Kw, his response is he would require to google it .
At least Jimmy Hoffa of the teamsters ,was a mafia gangster and you had to pay your dews, but you were guaranteed a salary.
Select guarantee Nada, other than nice warm office working enviroment for there staff ,at the walled garden midlothian.
PS Just like you ,required to site H&S assessment to renew card ,but Select were too busy trying to sell courses, as if it were a prerequisite to maintaining my SJIB gold card ,so be aware !!

I'm sure we all agree that it is a pain especially when the regs edition changes and you have to pay extra for updating - the whole thing is a business on its own - a financial rip off!

However it is surprising how much knowledge you forget over time. My job before retiring was an MoD AP. The MoD safety rules are extensive and really challenging - you have to undertake several tests before you are allowed to work on site even if you have ECS and IEE REGs The tests took about two hours to complete as they were not all multi choice.

The first time pass rate was about 1 in 10 and that then required a full days review of MoD rules, IEE Regs and basic electrical theory. I used to skip the first exam, do the training, then give the tests, I only had failure after that, but if you can't pass doing it that way your definetely in the wring job Many of the guys actually appreciated it and did not realise how much they did not know.

In Australia you are not allowed to work at all if you do not update your card, but you automatically get an increased hourly rate if you get further qualifications.

Shows the value of CPD for members of professional bodies, oh wait a minute there isn't one for electricians. 🥴

This is the problem, the law isn't tight enough, as long as anyone can fiddle with electrics, the value of being registered is undermined
The law can not intervene unless there is a "Statutory Instrument" for electrical installations, this requires three reading through the "Hose of Commons" then on to the "House of Lords" issued to the "Monarchy" for royal assent and on to the "Secretary of State" for issue into Law, the problem being the amount of variables in any installation the Instrument would need to be very loose and open to interpretation, this would instigate a whole new breed of experts to give various opinions of what should be done.

The law can not intervene unless there is a "Statutory Instrument" for electrical installations, this requires three reading through the "Hose of Commons" then on to the "House of Lords" issued to the "Monarchy" for royal assent and on to the "Secretary of State" for issue into Law, the problem being the amount of variables in any installation the Instrument would need to be very loose and open to interpretation, this would instigate a whole new breed of experts to give various opinions of what should be done.
Gas is controlled, so there's already a framework to copy

So surely if self employed you can write these costs off as expense ? and if employed its also an expense and can be claimed on self assessment?