should i stay or should i go...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny7299

Reaction score
Hi All

Well I have come to a cross roads in my life,

I am currently working for a bloke, and have been for about a year now, and been doing bits on the side as I have been going....

I have currently got Napit registered and working evenings and weekends for a few extra quid...

Suddenly to order book fills up... I have got

2x commercial units to rewire, 1x new industrial unit to wire, plus 5 PIR's from one bloke

2 x 5 bed detached houses from another bloke

1 kitchen and bathroom extension from another bloke plus a new dis board

And a bathroom extension with a new dis board.

So should I stay or should I go...

I have to much work on my books to stay working for someone else, but don

If side work is really getting in the way and you could potentially live on it, ask if you can do 2.3 days a week instead. depending on the work he has coming in, it could make things easier for him, or if he does tell you where to go, quit

kinda how i left previous company... was going to ask if i could do 2/3 days a week, until some gaffa who didnt like me sent me to work in a different area. lasted less than a week before i give them my notice

either way, good luck.

and dont wait until the work is almost over before advertising for more, get straight into that

i will throw this into the forthcoming mix

how much work has he got ????

if its not a lot then why not employ him on CIS on these jobs

that way you dont break a good relationship with him

a point to ponder......

Your on the edge of a very tall cliff face.

Thats just what self employment is I am afraid.

When I started I did not even have one solid job to do.

What you will learn is that sometimes you have to take the risks, its what makes you the most money.

I would be carefull how you deal with your current employer, no point burning your bridges.

Its up to you now, without personal knowledge of the type of person you are, or the family status it would be wrong of me to say Yes, or No.

I was thinking along Theory's lines..

Why not have a word with your current employer and try to come to some arrangement where you use each other on a CIS (or a "cough") basis as and when necessary??

Hi AllWell I have come to a cross roads in my life,

So... what would you do?
That is a lot work on your books, Danny.

Consider carefully the views posted and your own personal circumstances.

Don & His Boys

I would be carefull how you deal with your current employer, no point burning your bridges.

i know what you mean, thats the difficult bit, if i do it right, i have somthing to fall back on, if i do it wrong i get a bad name...

It may be worth mentioning that he goes on holiday for the 6th time this year in a weeks time, he aint to interested in work he has made his money ... and things are getting a little quite for him...

That is a lot work on your books, Danny.Consider carefully the views posted and your own personal circumstances.

Don & His Boys
Yes I do need to consider carefully... I may be worth saying that I have a 7 weeks baby boy, and a wife... but I would if work does get quite it would be nice to see them.

So people can make an educated decision this is what I earn currently.

I am on

Yes I do need to consider carefully... I may be worth saying that I have a 7 weeks baby boy, and a wife... but I would if work does get quite it would be nice to see them.So people can make an educated decision this is what I earn currently.

I am on

For me it would make the decision harder knowing there was a baby sprog in the mix :|
it does make it harder... but i am currently working for my boss in the day, and myself in the evening and weekends,... not good for family life

it does make it harder... but i am currently working for my boss in the day, and myself in the evening and weekends,... not good for family life
you need to see the kid!

See if you can work something out with your boss.

best of luck :)

Yes I do need to consider carefully... I may be worth saying that I have a 7 weeks baby boy, and a wife... but I would if work does get quite it would be nice to see them.So people can make an educated decision this is what I earn currently.

I am on

If I was to give any benaficial advise at this time it would be this.

Do your homework are the jobs you have 100% yours.

How long would the customers be willing to wait for the jobs to be done.

Do all the cutomers have finance available to pay.

If possible would any of the customers give you a deposit.

To complete the work would you need to take on an extra person.

Do you have a supplier who is willing to give you extended credit.

Most industrial work is almost always 30 days on completion at the earliest.

You would normally have to be VAT registered, they can claim all VAT back.

When you become VAT registered it makes the domestic market a hell of a lot harder to compete.

If things are ok then go for it, if you do a good job you may get referrals but you need to advertise as soon as possible, the work sounds a lot but will eventually run out.

All I can say is good luck, whatever way you go.

i haven't a clue what it lookes like after that... all i can say is that , i do what i say , when i say it will be done it is, and the customers had always given me more work.

the jobs i listed above are for med sized property developers, and the way i am looking at it is, if they are doing well and building in the " credit crunch" then i want to stay with them for the upturn.

i dont know... i guess its all a blody risk and the only way to know is to run and jump and see if you can swim!!!!

I reckon theres a good couple of months in there and if you've priced it right thats a bloody good start and should keep you going for a good while as you build up more. Of course if you've got the work cus you've priced it at 8 quid an hour then your gonna work for nothing.

And before anyone takes my head off, thats exactly what a mate of mine did a while back until I explained how buisness works to him.

With the work you quoted already, what does it look like beyond that?Are you a hard working member, ready to take some risk (with confidence) or sit back and watch someone else seize the moment?

The Godfather
This is the question, you have a choice yes I am ready or no, where you sit back and wish for the rest of your life you had done it.

If I was to give any benaficial advise at this time it would be this.Do your homework are the jobs you have 100% yours.

How long would the customers be willing to wait for the jobs to be done.

Do all the cutomers have finance available to pay.

If possible would any of the customers give you a deposit.

To complete the work would you need to take on an extra person.

Do you have a supplier who is willing to give you extended credit.

Most industrial work is almost always 30 days on completion at the earliest.

You would normally have to be VAT registered, they can claim all VAT back.

When you become VAT registered it makes the domestic market a hell of a lot harder to compete.

If things are ok then go for it, if you do a good job you may get referrals but you need to advertise as soon as possible, the work sounds a lot but will eventually run out.

All I can say is good luck, whatever way you go.
its all go info... thanks

yes the work is 100% mine,

i dont want to keep the customer waiting for me to fit it in here and there, they have deadlines and need it up and running. so need to be working full time on my work rather that part time

yes they all have the money avalible and i have credit accounts with the 3 main supplyers

i shouldn't need to take on any one else..

thanks for all your info

There is an age old saying:

"You have no friends in business"

Always good to remember when things might (or do) go wrong.

The Godfather

Latest posts