shower/rcd

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradley2910

Reaction score
Quick question I have fitted a shower 9.5kw I have an old fuse board with a 30amp rewireAble fuse with a 6mm out to a rcd unit 63amp rcd and a 50 amp mcb when I turn the shower on it trips the rcd straight out any help would be greatly appreciated!

Suprised the 30amp has not blown......shower 41A

You'd be better off contacting a local sparks (part P registered of course)and asking him to split the tails to supply the 63A RCD enclosure.

He will then also check the MEB's & supp bonding is inplace & correctly sized & will also test/cert & notify the work.

Quick question I have fitted a shower 9.5kw I have an old fuse board with a 30amp rewireAble fuse with a 6mm out to a rcd unit 63amp rcd and a 50 amp mcb when I turn the shower on it trips the rcd straight out any help would be greatly appreciated!
I am seriously worried if this is the quality of training nowerdays...

From your thread on here...??

You have had proper C&G training?

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/electrician-talk-forum/19849-17th.html

Back to basics..

If a circuit has been correctly tested BEFORE energising an and RCD that has been tested (off load) as working correctly..

Then the ONLY reason the RCD would trip would be that the appliance connected is faulty...

But if you say it is a new shower..?

either you haven't done the basic tests as wot you should have learned at college

or you have messed up the installation somewhere!!

1/ What are your R1+R2 readings?

2/ What is the Insulation Resistance reading of the cable?

3/ What are your RCD test times?

4/ Have you confirmed you are going to comply with volt drop on your 6.0mm??

5/ What cable and MCB rating do the manufactures instructions suggest?

6/ WHAT is the point in wiring a 50amp MCB off a 30amp 3036??

7/ Notifiable work maybe????

Any answers to the above may help us to help you..

:( :C

Last edited by a moderator:
turn opff the power and check all your connections are in the correct terminals,

then check them all again,

when you say, turn the shower on, do you mean at the isolator/pull cord, or with the actual shower controls themselves?

Im thinking on either a wrong connection or a trapped wire at the pull cord/isolator.

So I assume this is a wind up you are putting a shower that takes over 40 amps through a 30 amp rewireable fuse not really a well designed circuit I think.

What size cable is used from rcd to shower mate?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:46 ----------

And how long is the run? And does the cable pass through and insulation etc

It probably would steps in fact I have seen a couple of showers wired on one ring main before but if you are not going to design a circuit properly and something goes wrong will your household insurance pay up probably not.

batty, its in the diy section, if someone is going to do it themselves we can only advise professional guidance on how to best do it safely,

we cant make someone get a competent person in,

BTW, is it still notifiable if you do it yourself in your own house? or is it like gas?

I think it is still notifiable although I am sure plenty are done without a ticket, strange really I think gas is more dangerous than electric generally one person dies if electric is done wrong with gas the whole house could go up.

I think it is still notifiable although I am sure plenty are done without a ticket, strange really I think gas is more dangerous than electric generally one person dies if electric is done wrong with gas the whole house could go up.
You can small gas tho, with electric (esp with showers) you just go bang.

One word ... Neutral ??
Pinched in the switch to earth.?

Need to address SLs questions.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:10 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:04 ----------

Just guessing .... a 30A fuse wire would probably carry that current for a short time , getting hot then the shower is over and turned off . The MCB would trip long before the wire melted , the old and ancient theory of Close and Course Protection. Disbanded in the 15th edit I think.