Siemens relay...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will_1

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for some help, please. I have a 50 year old boat which I'm renovating and I need to replace a faulty relay in the 12 volt lighting circuit. The information on the relay, which has five terminals, is SIEMENS V23134 - A1-X65 R6L4. It is obviously very old and after trying a few online electrical suppliers, my fears that this relay is no longer made have been confirmed. Also, none of the suppliers could tell me if there is a modern equivalent of this relay which I could use as a replacement. I am hoping that there might be...I've found some, mostly Bosch, which start 'V23134-A1' but then have different subsequent numbers, all very confusing. I'd be very grateful for any help anyone can give me. Many thanks, Will

Hi John, thanks for your reply. Yes, I should have thought of that! Will take one and post it as soon as I can.

Thanks Sharpend…I did find these while searching earlier and although the ref numbers match, they’re missing the R6L4 part. One of them looks like it may include the R6L4 part but difficult to read. Have written to both companies to ask. Thanks again, I’ll let you know how I get on.

Attachments

• 67DD8C0A-EF86-4BFE-A0FF-A745BD9579AF.jpeg
    67DD8C0A-EF86-4BFE-A0FF-A745BD9579AF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 434ABE95-33C7-425B-8B10-2DAF053560E8.jpeg
    434ABE95-33C7-425B-8B10-2DAF053560E8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I agree its probably a very common and uncritical relay, However, it would be nice to know what it actually does and confirm the current it needs to handle at the contacts. Is there a schematic, or any other information available? Also, are you confident of the fault diagnosis which condemns the relay?

I agree its probably a very common and uncritical relay, However, it would be nice to know what it actually does and confirm the current it needs to handle at the contacts. Is there a schematic, or any other information available? Also, are you confident of the fault diagnosis which condemns the relay?

Agreed 100% with what the Geoff man said...
especially the bit...

it would be nice to know what it actually does and confirm the current it needs to handle at the contacts.

So anyone else offering advice can consider any functional loading requirements to ensure a solution that is electrically safe can be recommended.

Agreed 100% with what the Geoff man said...
especially the bit...

it would be nice to know what it actually does and confirm the current it needs to handle at the contacts.

So anyone else offering advice can consider any functional loading requirements to ensure a solution that is electrically safe can be recommended.
Yes of course it would be nice to know all of the information, schematic drawing etc etc BUT it would seem from the OP's post that this sort of information is not available. Second best option having identified what sort of device it is, would be to purchase a standard automotive relay with the highest rating on the contacts.

As far as safety goes, they wont have used the relay as a circuit protector, a fuse further back will cover that, nothing will have changed from that perspective so safety wont have been compromised in any way.

Final point with regards to fault diagnosis condemning the relay, easy things first, swapping 5 wires over onto a £10 relay is hardly a major job, if the OP doesn't have electrical knowledge or test equipment, it may not be a bad first step.

Latest posts