Smokes for Intruder alarm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian41uk

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to upgrade intruder alarm system to include smokes..... does anybody know of a decent ionisation smoke detector that is pref:

i). Mains powered but with battery backup.

ii). Includes an 'Escape light'

iii). Has the option for a change-over relay thats operates when the detector is trigger (even when NO mains present)

I havent managed to find such a beastie so far...... have you?

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

you could have a look on security warehouse. texecom exodus smoke detectors for example will operate the intruder alarm and as the alarm panel will have battery backup then will still work with no mains, however time dependant on amp hours of battery. These are heat combine with optical detectors and not ionisation.

However, detectors with an inbuit escape light i have no idea.

Gents, thanks for your replies....

I did consider the standard type 12V fire detector head .... but thought that I'd prefer something more akin to the standard battery smoke alarm (so that it would still work locally, independantly of any fault in the intruder alarm panel and/or mains/12V wiring) but, as an added bonus, would be able to trigger the alarm panel & autodialer to raise more awareness if all the wiring was still intact.

Guess, I'm thinking that a smoke alarm is such an important bit of safety kit that I want there to have to be multiple failures before I got toasted in my bed!

Adrian

I have always wondered if a smoke detector connected to an intruder alarm meets the relevant BS numbers. The panel will have mains & battery back up. The cables are monitored on a closed loop for both fault and alarm, i recon it would.

Mains smokes with seperate relay operating alarm? 9v interconnect so would need 12v dc relay?

Aico all the way and they have all the product range that your after.

Has the client expressed that the smoke detectors are integrated with the burglar alarm?

.]

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:43 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:42 ----------

Mains smokes with seperate relay operating alarm? 9v interconnect so would need 12v dc relay?
batman.jpg