Snake oil

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Sworld

Electrical Technician
Reaction score
Someone on SF has found this on E-Bay.

What's the betting its just a transformer and 2 LED's!

Someone on SF has found this on E-Bay.What's the betting its just a transformer and 2 LED's!
I guess its got a little variable timer circuit to make the LEDs blink at different rates during the day........

Make it look like its doing something!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet there is a 12page instruction book written in loads of obscure languages...

saying......

unpack.

plug in.

switch on.

:D :D:D

Agreed - and worse still there are mugs that will buy it, probably a few I can think of over at SF :^O :^O

A thing that size that claims to stabilise the supply - LMAO yeah sure thing it can easily handle some 24kW average domestic supply.

As a matter of interest there is a product o the market - and it is not cheap that can actually save power, it varies the main incomer supply voltage depending on usage. I did contact the company claiming that it is probably an illegal product by e-mail and they were on the phone the very next day but I missed their call and never managed to get back to them.

I said it was probably illegal as we sparks sign of certificates stating and signing to the effect that an installation meets 7671 regulations, by varying the supply voltage that probably makes OUR certs invalid. It is also in contravention of the Electrical Supply Act that guarantees a supply voltage within a specific range.

Chinese eh??? Who`d have guessed it?

If my (whisky tonight) addled brain is missing something, I apologise in advance....BUT

This "voltage reduction product-thingumabob" - How does that save power???

I must be missing something; but P=IV. Lower the voltage; current increases; power stays constant?

Or am I being REALLY thick tonight????

Chinese eh??? Who`d have guessed it?If my (whisky tonight) addled brain is missing something, I apologise in advance....BUT

This "voltage reduction product-thingumabob" - How does that save power???

I must be missing something; but P=IV. Lower the voltage; current increases; power stays constant?

Or am I being REALLY thick tonight????
I agree, to a point, tho I dont know exactly what the point is....

have you ever tried to run 230v stuff off 110v.?

(cheapo radio on site?)

it doesnt really make that much difference most of the time(current wise) (depending what your using of course).

I think its down to most stuff having built in transformers these days and not really being too fussy how many volts it gets. its gonna change it for something lower anyway.!

appears to be the cheaper and nastier it is the less fussy it is!!!

Chinese QC once again. :D

ps, dont try this with your new 78" plasma,

I WILL NOT be held responsible for the missus removing your dangly bits!!!

I'd love to know how those devices work. If they reduce the voltage, then the current will reduce too and power also will be reduced.

Perhaps they chop-off the tops of the AC sine-wave, and "smooth" things out a bit.

Not sure it's "illegal" to reduce voltages in an installation, LV lighting does it. What about dimmers? Do they reduce voltage and hence power to tungsten lighting?

First post over here, SF down this morning.

BH

Latest posts