Snubber for led's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its one of those naughty BC adaptors! :eek:

its actually a double socket about 8" away from a 4g switch [2way] ,2banks of LED[6+4] and 2 outside lights,

the socket is on a different RCD to the lighting circuit, the LEDs are on a completely seperate circuit of their own from any other lights, as are the outside lights.

Ive tried different makes of LEDs, in fact, there are at least 3 different types installed at the minute and it makes no difference.

:C

Electronic noise Steps, put a scope on it, bet there is a huge switching spike, straighteners using solid state switching I bet, & in the N conductor too I'd vouch, check it and see.

that was what I thought sidey,

but why does it only affect the LEDs?

no affect if she uses them upstairs etc, with the bedroom lights, mixture of normal and compact florries.

or is it a case of this socket wiring being run beside the lighting cables? probably only about 1" away, studded wall.

Switching spikes & back emf can reach kV levels at 24V!

Think of the induced noise in the adjacent cables, remembering the LED's are sensitive electronic devices too.

Ok similar one. In my own house, turning off the loft light (T8 tube) will make my subwoofer on my sound system thud.

Sorry to drag up an old-ish topic folks, but this matches my scenario exactly. Not the hair straighteners, the flashing LEDs :)

Bog-standard bulb at the top of the stairs, light switch at top of stairs AND at bottom of stairs. Feed from CU comes to top switch, loops down to bottom switch via grey/black/brown/earth cable (down via black and grey, back via brown) and to the light. I've replaced the bulb with a 240v LED and it now flashes every 3-4 seconds when off.

If the light is off via the black cables (e.g. both switches up) it flashes, and there's approx 38v across the pins. If it's off via the grey cable (e.g. both switches down) there's approx 12v across the pins and no flashing. I can work with that, but my other half cannot.

I'm curious about the contact suppressor mentioned earlier in this thread:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/contact-suppressor-498

Does that sound like the answer to my scenario? If so, can it get soldered across any point between switch and lamp (there's a junction box before the light fitting)? It's in roof space with insulation.

Many thanks

Jim

I have one for you clever folks,

when the lights are on, 10 x 4w LEDs , or even if its just half the bank,

when the mrs is using her hair straighteners they will flicker off every so often, I guessing when the thermostat kicks,

whats the problem?

does anyone have a simple fix or do I need to get a proper sparky in,? :|
Try one of those cheap noise suppressor piggy back plugs you get for computers. It should sink noise to earth regardless whether it originates in an appliance or outside the appliance. The downside is that if it's a large spike the MOV might cause the RCD to trip especially if there's already some cumulative leakage elsewhere in the house.

images.jpeg

Try one of those cheap noise suppressor piggy back plugs you get for computers. It should sink noise to earth regardless whether it originates in an appliance or outside the appliance. The downside is that if it's a large spike the MOV might cause the RCD to trip especially if there's already some cumulative leakage elsewhere in the house.

attachicon.gif
images.jpeg
RCD,?

in my house?

those things cost money.!

:slap

thanks Marvo,

might be worth a try,

either that or Mr Claus may need to do some more wrapping  ;)

Thanks for that Fellow Sparky's-i will take some over to Spain with me-( RC Device). Any advice on the Optimizers or again are they on previous Posts?

Regards..