Sockets, switches and cooker isolating switch in cupboard

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkJ

Reaction score
Doing a kitchen rewire for a customer. The kitchen is mega expensive and the kitchen designer is a bit dippy. He does not want any sockets or cooker switches sunk into boxes as he is going to put some sort of mirrors on the wall between the freestanding floor units and the wall cupboards.

He wants all of the sockets along one side of the kitchen to be installed inside the floor standing cupboards including the cooker isolating switch and the FCU for the extractor to preserve his

Doing a kitchen rewire for a customer. The kitchen is mega expensive and the kitchen designer is a bit dippy. He does not want any sockets or cooker switches sunk into boxes as he is going to put some sort of mirrors on the wall between the freestanding floor units and the wall cupboards.He wants all of the sockets along one side of the kitchen to be installed inside the floor standing cupboards including the cooker isolating switch and the FCU for the extractor to preserve his

Doing a kitchen rewire for a customer. The kitchen is mega expensive and the kitchen designer is a bit dippy. He does not want any sockets or cooker switches sunk into boxes as he is going to put some sort of mirrors on the wall between the freestanding floor units and the wall cupboards.He wants all of the sockets along one side of the kitchen to be installed inside the floor standing cupboards including the cooker isolating switch and the FCU for the extractor to preserve his

Last edited by a moderator:
He does sound a fool, but you can put a bank of isolating switchs for the appliances and the sockets can be hidden under the worktop on a tower that comes up when pressed and can be pushed down, no good on granite etc unless all sorted before and cutouts put in which is expensive. I put sockets for appliances in the cupboard to one side as you said. FCU for extractor on top of wall unit is I think ok. But not for the cooker I thought that was the only one that it was reccomended to be above worktop (along with waste disposal) I have seen them in cupboards though. But it can be 2m away from cooker. I'v always considered a kitchen to be part of the fabric of the bulding but if they are freestanding and can be pulled out then maybe not.

Having re read that not sure if its much help

Does anyone know of a regulation that prohibits the fitment of either sockets or cooker isolators in a cupboard?

Does anyone know of a regulation that prohibits the fitment of either sockets or cooker isolators in a cupboard?
I could find nothing which is why I called Elecsa who said it is their in the regs

Last edited by a moderator:

ive got a flap on my fuseboard, by elecsas definition its not readily accessible how ridiculous.

erm... Post #7

headbang

Try reading page 142 7671..

Section 553 Accessories

and 553.1 is Plug & Socket-outlets.

There are only seven regs in there....

553.1.1 - 553.1.2 - 553.1.3 - 553.1.4 - 553.1.5 - 553.1.6 - 553.1.7

No matter which way you read it..

I doubt you will find a reg prohibiting it..

cuz there are too many grey areas....

How do you define a Cupboard

How small, how big, how low, how high???

COMMON SENSE.

then

Individual judgment of a specific installation environment etc.. etc..

are applied

Any time you have doubts check your proposed position meets ALL fundamental principals in chapter 13.

page 14 -19..

As said .. It was all covered in Post#7

:C

You will have to make a judgment in discussion with your client, (homeowner OR kitchen designer), which ever it is.

It would be totally impractical for the regs to list ALL the things/places where you cannot fit something!

Just as you will not find regs saying you can't put pendant lamp holders on a wall

but common sense & good workmanship says not generally a good idea.

:eek: :(

well if it helps you sleep at night.

been at a few jobs were cu is in kitchen unit

was at one not long back were cu was at the back of a deep cupboard with shelves prity much have to lay on shelf to get accsess to it. just seen a job were cu is on wall but studd wall has been built around it and plastered so the whole thing is inset into the wall and soon will have a kitchen unit infront of that with the back cut out.

people will put things in odd places for some reason or another and other trades will always be there to build around your work after your long gone. not saying its right or ok but it happens a lot. like spec says bit of common sense. and the building reg book is a good guide

if push comes to shove i will put sockets in unit (often remove from old unit then come back and put in new unit same place)

I'm quoting for a new kitchen (change of use of room, back to kitchen as was originally)

The head, meter and CU are in the corner of the room.

Now the "designer" has a fridge beside it and a highline unit with an inbuilt oven beside that; going the other way they have a 1000mm corner unit and then a washing machine, now the sink bowl is in the 1000mm unit with the drainer over the wanshing machine...

I hope you can picture that!!!

So if a MCB were to trip then they'd have to open a 400mm door and squeeze past the sink bowl and associated plumbing down to far wall inside the unit:red card:red card

I recommended moving the CU to the hallway, they wouldn't go for that so as a compromise I have agreed to price it to be fitted inside a wall unit; ; ; not the best, but much better than inside the base unit!

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

and the privately contracted fitter (my Dad) is going to make sure that the head and meter is accessible by making the side panel (beside the fridge) easily removable!

I could find nothing which is why I called Elecsa who said it is their in the regs
Did Elecsa back that up with a reg number (they always have when I have asked them anything).

If its not in 7671, building regs or manufacturers instructions then there is nothing so say you can or can not do it.

Latest posts