Some advice sought...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to price up 2 kitchens in houses that are next to each other today, on the way to do the quote I didnt think that it would be a huge job to sort each kitchen.

Sorted out the specification which wasnt really an issue.

Then checked the fuse board - BS3036 - 2 circuits supplying the entire house (2 up, 2 down). System is confirmed TNS in both houses.

Now the client did ask about replacing the boards which I agreed to. But I am now thinking of all the extra work needed ie extra outgoing lines to the various circuits (I forgot to mention this as well as new smoke detectors).

So would it be fair to give the client a price for wiring the kitchen and all remedial works (no main bond to water, but confirmed to gas), and also a price to rewire both houses.

I feel like an idiot for not mentioning this at the time. The client did mention that she had other electricians in to give her a quote but has heard nothing back from them so far.

There is extensive replastering down to most walls in the house already done.

The client is a property developer to boot

Many thanks

Andy

Give them both quotes, take them round and explain your reasoning etc, alot of people are much happier to have you work for them if you show an interest, more so if it may end up saving them money in the future.

Could be a good contact. Put it all in writing, Kitchen .. 7 sockets , 1 x 30 amp cooker feed.. elects to cooker hood and 6 downlts as discussed.

Replace consumer unit.

Install bonding to water.

Install mains powered smoke alarms ( Bldg. Reg)

I wouldn't mention rewiring the rest if it wasn't mentioned, bring it up when you are half way through the kitchen.

Deke

Yes I would definately break down the quotes and list all the jobs seperate.

I would give a discounted price if all the work was done at the same time.

As this is all notifiable work surely it would be better to have all the work done in one go?

or as suggested break the quote down in to seperate jobs and take it from there....

Would you not be using Heat detectors in the kitchen to avoid burnt toast nuisance tripping etc ?

As this is all notifiable work surely it would be better to have all the work done in one go?or as suggested break the quote down in to seperate jobs and take it from there....
Can't see that makes much difference?

if you choose to notify individual elements of a larger job...

its only extra

Latest posts