Some radiators remaining cold

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick N

Reaction score
We have moved into a house recently and some radiators are remaining cold.

This applies specifically to 4 radiators which (I suspect from the investigative work I have done so far pulling up a few floorboards) and a later addition to the system following an extension

The boiler is a Greenstar 33 combi boiler from Worcester. With the number of rads we have we are probably close to capacity of the boiler but shouldn't be that bad.

Within 15 mins of turning on heating all radiators apart from these 4 are too hot to touch. When the heating has been on a hours these 4 rads vary from luke warm to stone cold.

Our ground floor is solid concrete so most ground floor rads are fed down from the pipes which run under the first floor floorboards (the boiler is in the loft).

The pipes are not blocked as I have removed all these rads from the wall to decorate and they have filled up fine from the system when I have put them back on - the valves are all open and there is enough pressure in the system.

I think in my bedroom there is a T off the out pipe which goes down and does all 4 of these rads and then comes back up and joins the return pipe. This pipe is a 10mm (I think) pipe off a 10mm pipe.

Want to know what we need to do to resolve:

Do we need to change the size of teh pipes feeding the loop round the house?

Can we fit a booster pump to help water round these rads?

Is 4 rads on 1 "spur" too much and would it be better as part of a loop?

We can easily now pull up carpet and floorboards upstairs as we are about to decorate and recarpet the stairs/landing - so if we need to do that now is the time.

Finally and good reccoemndations of someone in Leeds who would be interested in such a job which is probably a bit of a pain compared to a new install!

Any advice welcome

Just a thought, have they just taken a 10mm feed/return from a manifold to supply additional radiators? It could be that you need a larger supply pipe before reducing to 10mm again.

Air lock, shut all working rads down, plus 3 of non working leaving just 1 non working open, run system, once rad is hot open another non working until the 4 are now hot, then open the rest.

The pipes are not blocked as I have removed all these rads from the wall to decorate and they have filled up fine from the system when I have put them back on - the valves are all open and there is enough pressure in the system.
that doesnt prove the pipes are not blocked. it only proves both are not blocked.

Thanks for suggestions

I have tried shutting down all working rads (apart from the bathroom which has no valves) and left the system running for an hour and they still did not get hot.

I will try closing 3 of the 4 non working ones to try and shift an air lock if there is one.

Thanks for comment re blockage - hadn't thought of that! will get it checked out

Get a cheap radiator key and bleed the radiators air will escape from the system, be carefull though when all the air is removed from the rad water will follow.

Is it a closed system, check the water pressure on the boiler may need topping.. Also has the system got Trv's on the radiators??

Have bled all rads already so its not that

Have topped water - enough pressure in the sytem

Suggestions hwlpful

Cheers

Latest posts