Something free from BT ..I don't believe it !!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a lot , lot, lot of moaning we have gone up from 2 to 6mp  now   . No cable in our area and we are direct to exchange with no cabinet so no fibre and  BT will be leaving us till last.
I'm stuck with 3mb. It is brutal and I have no chance of an upgrade. I'm too far out in the countryside.

Your line rental pays for maintenance of your network NOT BT'S, jesus effing christ, what's wrong with this forum these days, everyone has to have a go at me for everything I say, ffs does everyone get upset when just for once someone actually knows more about something than they do!

NO WONDER THERE'S ONLY ABOUT HALF A DOZEN PEOPLE STILL ON HERE, WELL F U CK IT, I'M OUT TOO.

BAN ME LIKE I GIVE A FLYING FOOK!
Say it like it is 😄

NO WONDER THERE'S ONLY ABOUT HALF A DOZEN PEOPLE STILL ON HERE, WELL F U CK IT, I'M OUT TOO.

Quote this 

why bother going to the trouble of banning you if, by your own admission, you are 'out too'?   Which I assume means that you are not intending to return 

just saying

Your line rental pays for maintenance of your network NOT BT'S, jesus effing christ, what's wrong with this forum these days, everyone has to have a go at me for everything I say, ffs does everyone get upset when just for once someone actually knows more about something than they do!

Openreach (owned by BT) maintain the network. whatever provider you use for your phone/ internet*, you use openreach's network. you pay your line rental to your provider(even to BT). this then goes to openreach to maintain the network. so your line rental, whoever you pay it to, ultimately goes to openreach.

*exception is virgin media, since they have their own network and its not used by anyone else afaik, so any line rental goes to them

clearly, you think you know more than you do, and multiple times you have been proven wrong. even in this thread, insisting that fibre makes no difference to speed. its a well known fact that the longer the line, the less your speed will be. cutting out a long length of copper and replacing with fibre will mean less copper, so faster speeds. FTTC also uses a high frequency range to transmit more data simultaneous too, so more speed from there. im surprised you didnt insist that you should stick to 56k modem, since its still using the same network, why pay the extra for broadband?

Openreach (owned by BT) maintain the network. whatever provider you use for your phone/ internet*, you use openreach's network. you pay your line rental to your provider(even to BT). this then goes to openreach to maintain the network. so your line rental, whoever you pay it to, ultimately goes to openreach.
That is fine in principle and how it should work.

NOW try getting a broadband fault fixed when you are using Talk Talk as your provider. Not happening. They refused to accept it was a network fault and just kept sending me a new router, I ended up with about 5 of them.  I only got the fault fixed by switching back to BT still with the fault, then reporting the fault to BT who reported it to Open Reach who fixed it.

Just had an email from BT ... I'm now on 76mbs   but it needs to "settle down" apparently.    And yes I think things are working quicker .  

I read some of the above posts with a certain sadness and try to remind myself that this is  The "Friendly Forum" .

I've only been on one other forum for the trade ..  I didn't realize it was  American ,   just thought they were all crazy ,   until all the references to "grounding "   caused suspicion  and I quietly crept out of the door.    

I've only been on one other forum for the trade ..  I didn't realize it was  American ,   just thought they were all crazy ,   until all the references to "grounding "   caused suspicion  and I quietly crept out of the door.    

I spend some time each day on American forums. Their acronyms take some getting used to.

Just for you Dave GEC = ground earth conductor.

Thanks , I did know they say that over there   :Salute     it was interesting and as you say ,  different acronyms etc  .  They all seemed a friendly crowd though but  their systems and methods seemed so different to ours I felt like an outsider .

I seemed to lose access to  it ,  did a Google search  and found myself on here .   It was just after the dinosaurs became extinct.   

They are a friendly lot but they will not answer any questions from non-trade people.

This site is designed for:

Contractors

Electricians

Engineers

Inspectors

Instructors

Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.