Speed cameras

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree pach, 20mph with camera outside schools and such and 80mph on motorway / dule and i might add anything not caperble of 80mph eg trucks should not be allowed to overtake on a dule

the old flash gatso i think they call them, i haver never been flashed head on. i think but this is a guess the reason for the lines on both sides of the road is so u cant speed past in the other lane.the average ones that pop up around road works people always speed through i never risk it i got 4 points 4 years ago from a mobile camera and my insurance is still higher. when i do accidently speed a bit i compensate by slowing down for a bit, not sure if that works either, but no tickes yet.
Points only stay on your licence for 3 years yet insurance companies always go back 5. Not sure that's right & proper.

i agree pach, 20mph with camera outside schools and such and 80mph on motorway / dual and i might add anything not capable of 80mph eg trucks should not be allowed to overtake on a dual
That's a ridiculous statement to make - I'm sorry mate.

I can just picture it - You doing your nut in, screaming and shouting at the Counter staff at your local wholesaler's because they promised that your bits will be in and they're not - Costing you time and money.

The reason? Because they are late because they cannot overtake on any dual carriageway. :)

Oh - And judging by what you Guys have stated - it appears I was wrong on the tolerances. :_| Sorry.

That's a ridiculous statement to make - I'm sorry mate.I can just picture it - You doing your nut in, screaming and shouting at the Counter staff at your local wholesaler's because they promised that your bits will be in and they're not - Costing you time and money.

The reason? Because they are late because they cannot overtake on any dual carriageway. :)
i would not go as far as to say its a ridiculous statment

and i doubt it would have that much effect on wholesaler either and by what your saying the customer could be doing his nut sat in the dark and needing a shower cus i am late stuck behined a truck overtaking 2 others up a hill because his truck does 67 and their s does 65 :)

Points only stay on your licence for 3 years yet insurance companies always go back 5. Not sure that's right & proper.
i know its not on, i got 150 fine 40 court coast, not sure why it had to go to court. and 60 a year on the insurance.

i hate insurances company i went from 24000 miles a year to 5000

commuting to solcial only and they put the price up. i guess they thought if i was driving less there was more chance of the it being stolen:D

Tax man can go back even further but you only can claim back for 7X(

You could just cover your car with CD's, they reflect lazers!
Paint it with anecronic paint or even put anecronic tiles on the front of you car like they do on subs and stealth planes;)

Gatsos are the ones that only get you as you go past them on your side.

gatso_image_1.jpg

Truvelo's can get you both ways and I dont think they flash. I've sped through about 4 of these but never had a letter out. They don't have them up here in lancs, but anytime I venture out to around santa pod in northamptonshire theres a few to catch you out.

images

As for Gatso's not being able to get you on the other side as the flash may blind you. Well what happens when your driving and someone on the other side gets flashed anyway, same effect?? I think one day they may start altering them to both sides.

Speedo's can be under by up to 10% but not over! My TomTom gives a different reading to the car in every vehicle! One car under-reads more the faster you go (even allowing for the %).

If you actually do the maths tyre wear has next to nothing to do with it. Swapping 15" for 17" tyres alters things by less than 1mph! I have done the sums!
No. the error margin is both under and over.

They generaly read over your actual speed, ie. the speedo will show 30MPH when your actual speed is 27MPH, this is to help you not to exceed the speed limit.

If you cars speedo under-reads your speed by more than 10%, you should get it replaced, or check that you have the correct sensor for you vehicles wheel size.

Sorry, I suggest you re-do the maths.

The circumference of a 15" wheel and tyre is approximately 90% of a 17" wheel and tyre depending on the tyre profiles.

There are in fact other considerations taken into account other than tyre wear, for instance tyre expansion, under inflation and tyre profile.

However when speedos were first made compulsory, tyres were designed, to allow for treads to be re-cut, as is still the case with Lorry and Bus tyres today, so the main concern was with tyre wear.

Letter in PE this month about speeding. Bigger vans ( Transit type I assume) are restricted to 50 MPH on single carriagways and 60 MPH on dual carriagways. This does not apply to car derived vans below 2 tons.