Speed cameras

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gatsos are the ones that only get you as you go past them on your side.
gatso_image_1.jpg

Truvelo's can get you both ways and I dont think they flash. I've sped through about 4 of these but never had a letter out. They don't have them up here in lancs, but anytime I venture out to around santa pod in northamptonshire theres a few to catch you out.

images

As for Gatso's not being able to get you on the other side as the flash may blind you. Well what happens when your driving and someone on the other side gets flashed anyway, same effect?? I think one day they may start altering them to both sides.
Both Truvelos and Gatsos are only calibrated for the correct side of the road that they were set up for.

Plus Truvelos work from two piezoelectric or pneumatic strips set in the road surface, so if you are on the other side of the road you can't set them off anyway.

To my shame, I have always enjoyed setting off Gatsos when on the other side of the road (ie going towards them) and have yet to receive a ticket for it!

If you are going through a Gatso at a legal speed, and it is set off by someone going the other way, the Police can tell that you were not actually speeding by looking at the distance you travelled between the two photos, as shown by the calibrated road markings.

If you are going through a Gatso at a legal speed, and it is set off by someone going the other way, the Police can tell that you were not actually speeding by looking at the distance you travelled between the two photos, as shown by the calibrated road markings.
they probably wont check anyway, just send the ticket and demand you pay up

they probably wont check anyway, just send the ticket and demand you pay up
Yes true enough, in which case you would need the cajones to challenge it, if you were certain that you were not speeding at the time!

OK, as I understand it, but this is by no means uniform.

37 mph allowing for tolerances in a 30mph zone.

(Beyond this, you're on camera)

Don

a scientist in oz put a small suit case full of electrical components, resistors, refletors and gawd nows what else, so every time a camera flashed him it sent out a high voltage or something for a millasecond and fried the inside of the camera! just wish i know what the hell he had in there

a scientist in oz put a small suit case full of electrical components, resistors, refletors and gawd nows what else, so every time a camera flashed him it sent out a high voltage or something for a millasecond and fried the inside of the camera! just wish i know what the hell he had in there
Probably my Boys.

Don

They are now scaled down and know as "Tom Tom's" and some actually warn you of the presence of speed cameras. :D

It would require a considerable amount of energy, not likely generated in a suitcase.

The Boys

TIM77. 1. I have always said no - other peeps have said yes - they do work i both directions even though they may be facing towards you. In which case, I say - Why paint lines both sides of the camera? And why pay someone to come and turn the camera in the opposite direction every to often, if it can pick up speeding drivers both sides of the road.

2. Is a tricky one and depends on where the camera is. For example, if it is on the M6 then yes, it would be well stocked, and stocked regularly. Don't forget that the Gatso's have the old film roll in them and they do run out. Whereas the new Digital cameras, never run out as the images are digitally sent to the processing place.

Either way - you will know within 4 weeks. Personally - I say if you haven't heard anything within 2 months - then there is an extremely strong possibility that you weren't caught.

PATCH: What people don't realise is that those cameras (Hand held or static) can zap you speeding and record your speed long before you see them. Also, if it was a handheld Laser speed camera used by a police officer - and they didn't come after you, then you haven't been caught.

I believe you all know my views on speed cameras? I must be the only one that is all for them? More so the hand held ones. Gatso's - everyone knows where they are, slow down to pass them and speed off again.

Exbdc. The tolerance is 10%. (Not + 2mph too).
I think speed cameras are a good idea if placed in accident hotspots or places like near schools to make sure that drivers do slow down.

However, the speed limits on dual carriageways around this way are ridiculous! Some are 40mph and they are fairly straight roads and not in residential area, so of course everyone breaks the limit. What annoys me is other drivers in general and their lack of observation, indicating, blatant use of mobile phone.

i know this sounds a bit mad but when I drive slow and stick to the limit i get in more trouble with other road users, whereas good observations and keeping away from other vehicles I get alot less hassle.

Not quite enough.(But reminds us of a the Sun & a magnifying glass)

The Boys
Don't they boycott the Sun in Liverpool? ;)

Sounds like a small thermonuclear device?

The EMP would do the trick.

:eek: