Spur socket with no CPC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johninlondon1

Reaction score
I was plastering a few walls for a decorator friend in a big house in Dulwich, London (500k plus), I unscrewed the twin S/O and found no earth to the socket and between the socket and the skirting board (3cm) I removed the wallpaper and there was just a hole behind it and there was a plastic connector block connecting the spurred socket to the rfc. There was no insulation from each connection for about an inch or so and the cpc was just connected to the metal socket outlet backbox and not to the socket. I told the decorator that this was dangerous and on completion of the plastering covered the full socket with tape and a written notice that the socket should not be used as there was no earth. As I am not a fully qualified electrician yet, What should I have done, I did not want to remove the CB for the downstairs RFC as all the freezer goods would have gone off. What are my legal obligations in this case and what should I have done? As the client was not there, told the decorator to inform the client that he would require a qualified electrician to resolve the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my only comment is you should have sorted out the wiring BEFORE finishing the plastering.

you have just made it harder to fix and more likely that it will just be left as it is.

You could have removed the offending socket and just fitted a blank plate in it's place. That would ensure it gets some attention.

Thanks for your reply Pro, I was there solely in a plastering capacity. I did not fill the hole where the connector blocks where, just covered them up in tape and a warning notice. I skimmed around the top and both sides of the socket area and this was all I could realistically do. The decorator asked me to fix it but without insurance and tools felt that it was not within my remit to interfere with the electrical installation. Making the client aware of the problem and sealing off the socket area and letting the client know he needs a qualified electrician to resolve the problem was in my opinion the best way forward. Once I start messing with his electrics then surely I would be responsible for anything that went wrong, so was not sure exactly what I should do.

What you did in this instance was correct, you have identified a problem and brought it to the end users attention. If I was the end user I would want to know how many other sockets may be at fault, so would be asking an electrician to do some testing for me, like you said you was on site as a plasterer not an electrician.

Hi John,

Im no expert myself. But ill offer what i can.

Firstly, was the cpc that was connected to the back box, long enough to reach to the socket itself, to be terminated at the socket?

If this is indeed the case, then i would isolate the supply to the circuit, check dead etc. Tidy up the connecter block (investigate this further?) and terminate the cps correctly into the socket, with sleeving of coarse. Wire in a fly lead from the back box to the socket, check all terminations and screw back.

I know you can be in a awkard situation at times, i have found myself in the same scenarios in the past.Not sure on where you stand legally etc.

Thanks for your reply Pro, I was there solely in a plastering capacity. I did not fill the hole where the connector blocks where, just covered them up in tape and a warning notice. I skimmed around the top and both sides of the socket area and this was all I could realistically do. The decorator asked me to fix it but without insurance and tools felt that it was not within my remit to interfere with the electrical installation. Making the client aware of the problem and sealing off the socket area and letting the client know he needs a qualified electrician to resolve the problem was in my opinion the best way forward. Once I start messing with his electrics then surely I would be responsible for anything that went wrong, so was not sure exactly what I should do.
Your answer is in your statement "I was there solely in a plastering capacity" Who are you contracted to for the works? Is the homeowner or the decorator paying you? All you need do is advise the person employing you to do your work. For your own peace of mind you could post a note through the door for the attention of the homeowner detailing your concerns.

Doc H.

Photo-0008.jpg

These are pictures that I have taken of the offending socket to help to envisage the situation.

Photo-0005.jpg

Photo-0006.jpg

Photo-0007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 3395View attachment 3396View attachment 3397View attachment 3398These are pictures that I have taken of the offending socket to help to envisage the situation.
Print and Date a copy of those photos, included a brief description of your concerns and non compliances with BS7671. Recommend that a second opinion should be sought from a qualified electrician. Sign it and give it to the homeowner. Your concerns look valid to me, I suspect most electricians would pop in for 10mins to do a free estimate visit, to look at something like this then give costs for remedial work.

Doc H.