Emails blocked..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You get no choice, once you tell one company your email address, they sell it to others.

We both do a similar thing. One email address for friends, one for "anywhere you don't know" one for places you often buy stuff from.

Its good because you can change the address at will, so you stop getting spam email. Similar to what ProDave has.

What you have overlooked with virgin is, once you cancel your contract you will lose your virgin email account, you will also have no ISP.
Virgin are saying you can access your virgin email via a 3rd party, ONLY if you keep paying virgin, which you don't want to do. If you are with virgin, and you cancel, you will lose all your TV as well.

We used to have Sky TV via satellite, I cancelled the contract some 6 years ago (Cost only went in one direction) You have to send the box and remote back, but you keep the dish. I connected a freesat box to the dish, keep wondering why I didn't do it sooner.
Yes, but i have not cancelled anything. They have just suddenly blocked my email.

I know that lots of people seem to like several email addresses, one for friends and so on, but that would be my worst nightmare. I just want to open my email and there they all are. There will only be about 5 a day, a few notifications from forums like this one, and emails from the NHS. Multiple accounts would be a nightmare for me.

Best of it is, virgin have closed to email address they use to send me their bill [i do not have direct debit, NEVER will]

I just do nto know what to do..

john..

Yes, but you are clever in that way, i am a dimwit.

It is a bit like trying to explain power factor to an electrical dimwit..

Left to myself i would have a 1950 car as well..

Thanks for trying though!!

john..
Why not just use a free Gmail account then for contacts with the NHS!

I had websites and emails via website for many years, but as part of 'streamlining' the business, got rid of the website and just used Gmail.

Last edited:
John @apprentice87 are you with VirginMedia or just using a Virgin.Net email?
I have been using my own @ntlworld.com for 20 years or so and it is still working fine with VirginMedia apart from having to update the mail servers along the way at times.
If I use IMAP for the mail server connection, then there are Gmail folders shown in my account in Thunderbird but it works fine. If I use POP for the mail server, then there is no mention of Gmail as all mail comes to my Inbox then gets moved to whatever folders I choose.

Hi all,
Given that Virgin have started randomly blocking email accounts without any warning [ask me how i know] what are you all using for emails??

I want something that will work with thunderbird as that is what i am set up with and it would be trully horrendous to try to change.

What do you all use?? I asked in the hospital where i used to work today as was told that at one time the NHS systems would block hotmail. I have no idea though..

What should i do??

Has anyone else had this??

john..

Only just seen this.. and the only input I can give is as follows:-

I am still running some @virgin.net email accounts that I have been using for probably around 25 years or more??. (original set up in the days of dial-up email & inter-web surfing! before they brand name changed to "VirginMedia")

Other family members, (children, I have 5 children, youngest just turned 27 this month), are still using some @virginmedia.com email accounts that were added and set up when they started to increase the number of email accounts you could create.

Several years ago Virgin did contact us to say they would be deleting old @virign.net accounts unless you requested to keep them.. we kept 3x @virgin.net accounts, (1x me, 1x my wife, 1x my business [email protected])

So we currently have 3x @Virign.net accounts, 6x @Virginmeda.com accounts, and I am not aware of any issues preventing them working as expected??

I do also have my own business website with other work email addresses @"mywebsitename.co.uk" hosted and managed by our old forum colleague canoeboy..

I access my emails (virgin and website) via a combination of bog-standard Microsoft Outlook on work desktop & laptop.. and via the bog-standard Apple email service on i-phone and/or i-pad..

My wife accesses her Virgin email account via i-phone and/or i-pad...

No idea exactly what the children use to access their emails.. probably Apple phones/tablets/laptops etc...??

But as I said.. as far as I know everything is all working hunky-dory!!

Can't remember exactly when, but I do recall there was a data breach of some virgin email accounts a while back and they closed down quite a few accounts for several days before they were brought back on line again..

I have NO idea about Thunderbird??? the only Thunderbirds I know are the puppets who live on Tracey island and do rescues with their various rockets, planes, submarines etc.. etc..
(Gerry & Sylvia Anderson had a major impact on my childhood 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... Thunderbirds are GO!!!)

No idea if any of that helps or not???

Only just seen this.. and the only input I can give is as follows:-

I am still running some @virgin.net email accounts that I have been using for probably around 25 years or more??. (original set up in the days of dial-up email & inter-web surfing! before they brand name changed to "VirginMedia")

Other family members, (children, I have 5 children, youngest just turned 27 this month), are still using some @virginmedia.com email accounts that were added and set up when they started to increase the number of email accounts you could create.

Several years ago Virgin did contact us to say they would be deleting old @virign.net accounts unless you requested to keep them.. we kept 3x @virgin.net accounts, (1x me, 1x my wife, 1x my business [email protected])

So we currently have 3x @Virign.net accounts, 6x @Virginmeda.com accounts, and I am not aware of any issues preventing them working as expected??

I do also have my own business website with other work email addresses @"mywebsitename.co.uk" hosted and managed by our old forum colleague canoeboy..

I access my emails (virgin and website) via a combination of bog-standard Microsoft Outlook on work desktop & laptop.. and via the bog-standard Apple email service on i-phone and/or i-pad..

My wife accesses her Virgin email account via i-phone and/or i-pad...

No idea exactly what the children use to access their emails.. probably Apple phones/tablets/laptops etc...??

But as I said.. as far as I know everything is all working hunky-dory!!

Can't remember exactly when, but I do recall there was a data breach of some virgin email accounts a while back and they closed down quite a few accounts for several days before they were brought back on line again..

I have NO idea about Thunderbird??? the only Thunderbirds I know are the puppets who live on Tracey island and do rescues with their various rockets, planes, submarines etc.. etc..
(Gerry & Sylvia Anderson had a major impact on my childhood 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... Thunderbirds are GO!!!)

No idea if any of that helps or not???
I started with them back in the NTL days before virgin were even invented. There have only been a few problems, but when you have these problems, Virgin will simply not be told. I wish i had done screen shots of the stuff i had..

Below is a screen shot of something that someone else has posted... I changed the log in email address as they FORCED me to do, only to find that this deleted my primary email address @ntlworld.com [the second being what virgin call a "secondary account" and my mums one..] It also locked me out of their shitty website..

Matter of time before your email addresses are simply deleted..

john..

Bollocks2.jpg

I have definitely not received any messages from VM that my NTLWORLD email addresses are being removed / retired etc. My main VM account is from my NTLWORLD email address and I don't have any @virginmedia email addresses!
Mozilla Thunderbird is my main email client being used on both Windows & Linux systems and I have been using it since Outlook Express died along with Windows XP.
My NTL email came after they took over from Mercury going back before all the worries about the Y2K bug non-event.

I have definitely not received any messages from VM that my NTLWORLD email addresses are being removed / retired etc. My main VM account is from my NTLWORLD email address and I don't have any @virginmedia email addresses!
Mozilla Thunderbird is my main email client being used on both Windows & Linux systems and I have been using it since Outlook Express died along with Windows XP.
My NTL email came after they took over from Mercury going back before all the worries about the Y2K bug non-event.
Exactly the same as me then, i had Outlook express and then thunderbird as it was the closest.

As for your emails then, you have a shock coming.. Virgin have been trying to sort things for me [and the myriad others] for days now, but the truth is that we are all just being strung along.

Best you go here and have a read before you have a BIG shock one day..

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/WHY-IS-MY-EMAIL-LOCKED/td-p/5416812
john...

SSL is the name given to the encryption of transmitted data. It stops your email (or anything else) from being read by someone who has hacked in to get it.

What they are saying is like you, buying a car, and they tell you that tyres are included.
It is something you would expect to get when you buy a car.

SSL is the name given to the encryption of transmitted data. It stops your email (or anything else) from being read by someone who has hacked in to get it.

What they are saying is like you, buying a car, and they tell you that tyres are included.
It is something you would expect to get when you buy a car.
Thank you!!!!

john..