Emails blocked..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Given that Virgin have started randomly blocking email accounts without any warning [ask me how i know] what are you all using for emails??

I want something that will work with thunderbird as that is what i am set up with and it would be trully horrendous to try to change.

What do you all use?? I asked in the hospital where i used to work today as was told that at one time the NHS systems would block hotmail. I have no idea though..

What should i do??

Has anyone else had this??

john..

I use a paid for email service provided by the domain name host of my business domain name. I also have another domain name for personal use. Both work with Thunderbird mail and as long as I keep renewing the domain name and email hosting there should be no reason for them to ever stop working.

I use a paid for email service provided by the domain name host of my business domain name. I also have another domain name for personal use. Both work with Thunderbird mail and as long as I keep renewing the domain name and email hosting there should be no reason for them to ever stop working.
What does it cost and how would i do it?? I am not too good at these things and do not undertsand what you mean by "email service provided by the domain name host of my business domain name"

You do not have an ordinary ISp like virgin or BT or whatever??

Sorry if i sound dim..

john..

ProDave means he has a company website, that company gives him an email address.

You get your own domain name e.g. apprentice87.co.uk (it is available, I just checked) that is £4.99 /pa then you need a host that is £50/pa

Then you set up any email you like, e.g. [email protected] and away you go.

Prices vary according to who you are with. You can also set up a website too (no extra cost, to host it)

You can also have your actual name as a domain/email name, so mine might be. [email protected] (I did just make that up, but my other half has it, with her name.)

The downside: You must pay every year, if not you lose everything. I personally had a good domain name, until the host went bust.

Oh, you have to have "an ordinary ISP" as that is your "Internet Service Provider" without who you could not access anything. * (OK, you can set up your own ISP/host if you want, but it's not cheap, and most folk don't bother)

You can also have Gmail work with thunderbird, my account here at TEF is a Gmail account, and being as its Gmail, it's free, see screenshot below. It's free, and its easy, and it doesn't expire, and It's very easy to set up. (I know I said it's easy twice, that's because It's twice as easy)

g.jpg

ProDave means he has a company website, that company gives him an email address.

You get your own domain name e.g. apprentice87.co.uk (it is available, I just checked) that is £4.99 /pa then you need a host that is £50/pa

Prices vary according to who you are with. You can also set up a website too (no extra cost, to host it)

You can also have your actual name as a domain/email name, so mine might be. [email protected] (I did just make that up, but my other half has it, with her name.)

The downside: You must pay every year, if not you lose everything. I personally had a good domain name, until the host went bust.

Oh, you have to have "an ordinary ISP" as that is your "Internet Service Provider" without who you could not access anything. * (OK, you can set up your own ISP/host if you want, but it's not cheap, and most folk don't bother)

You can also have Gmail work with thunderbird, my account here at TEF is a Gmail account, and being as its Gmail, it's free, see screenshot below. It's free, and its easy, and it doesn't expire, and It's very easy to set up. (I know I said it's easy twice, that's because It's twice as easy)

View attachment 16531
I think i understand... I looked at the idea of the Gmail thing on thunderbird but it said somethingh about thunderbird sort of makes itself look like gmail [not that i have ever looked] with irrelevant [to me] folder names like this..
Liam.jpg

View attachment 16531
Sorry if i sound thick. [I am with this sort of thing] so i need three things basically.

1, A domain name, so in your example, apprentice87.co.uk

2, Someone to host the thing.

3, Then i create my email address using the domain name??

So using your example, i go to one of the firms that do this, do a search to see if the domain name i want is available, tell them this is what i want, they host the thing, and then i just create an email address at that domain name, so in your example[email protected]

john..

Sorry if i sound thick. [I am with this sort of thing] so i need three things basically.

So using your example, i go to one of the firms that do this, do a search to see if the domain name i want is available, tell them this is what i want, they host the thing, and then i just create an email address at that domain name, so in your example[email protected]

john..
Go to 123reg to get your domain name, they can also supply hosting, create your email addresses and forwarders that you want (a forwarder is a spoof email address that will forward on messages to a pre-set address eg [email protected] could set as a forwarder and any email sent to the address could be forwarded to [email protected]. You can also go to the dizzy heights of creating a website for yourself, even a one page website advertising what you do and contact details can be very successful.

I use UK2.net for my domain names. They host the domain name and sell the email service to go with it, they will also host your website if you want them to, or provide a simple 1 page site for free. All in one place which might make it simpler for you? They are not the cheapest but I have been using them for 30 years, so I don't expect them to be going bust any time soon.

Thunderbird can be set up for multiple email accounts so I can read all my different emails in one place.

so i need three things basically.

Yes. But it is easier than it sounds.
The company that you choose will "host" everything for you, domain, email, website.

Don't get me wrong, you have to fill in all the spaces, some will give you templates to fill in, depends what you want and how much you want to spend.

I do not want to be biased, so I suggest you do your own research for a webhost. Try google for "good web host" Have a look at them and see which you think offers the best value / ease of use.

Also look to see what they offer for that price. One I just looked at offers you ONE email address (You will soon find one is not enough)
I also suggest if they want more than £100/p.a. you look elsewhere. I just checked, my OH domain, last invoice was a shade under £50 for a year. (She uses 3 email addresses, but can have 10)

That doesnt usually happen if you make your domain a secure (https:) domain.
What does that mean and how would i do it??

Problem i have is that nearly all my emails are to and from the NHS. Needless to say, their systems are next to paranoid and will block anything they do not like and you have NO CHANCE of contacting anyone to sort it for you..

I do not want that toi happen..

john..

Yes. But it is easier than it sounds.
The company that you choose will "host" everything for you, domain, email, website.

Don't get me wrong, you have to fill in all the spaces, some will give you templates to fill in, depends what you want and how much you want to spend.

I do not want to be biased, so I suggest you do your own research for a webhost. Try google for "good web host" Have a look at them and see which you think offers the best value / ease of use.

Also look to see what they offer for that price. One I just looked at offers you ONE email address (You will soon find one is not enough)
I also suggest if they want more than £100/p.a. you look elsewhere. I just checked, my OH domain, last invoice was a shade under £50 for a year. (She uses 3 email addresses, but can have 10)
One email address would be all i want.

I am not remotely interested in all this modern crap and cannot see why anyone would want more than one. Is that not like having several different house numbers on the front of your house?? Why would you want that??

I just want to be able to tell shitty virgin to stick their shitty email service up their arse..

john..

Thank you all for being so helpful.

Can anyone explain what the heck this means??

They are saying that you can "DEFINITELY" still use your virgin "mailbox" but that you will have to access it through Gmail say. What on earth do they mean by that. ??

Is that not like royal mail saying we will still deliver your mail, only you will have to get DPD to come and get it from the sorting office..

It is all WAY WAY above my level of understanding

I would like to stand them virgin wankers in front of a lathe and see how they got on..

john..

STUIPID RULES.jpg

Well for the business, I have dave@,,, Sales@... Enquiry@... etc
And for the personal email which is our house name, I have me@.... wife@... Daughter@....
Yes, but you are clever in that way, i am a dimwit.

It is a bit like trying to explain power factor to an electrical dimwit..

Left to myself i would have a 1950 car as well..

Thanks for trying though!!

john..

I am not remotely interested in all this modern crap and cannot see why anyone would want more than one. Is that not like having several different house numbers on the front of your house?? Why would you want that??

You get no choice, once you tell one company your email address, they sell it to others.

We both do a similar thing. One email address for friends, one for "anywhere you don't know" one for places you often buy stuff from.

Its good because you can change the address at will, so you stop getting spam email. Similar to what ProDave has.

What you have overlooked with virgin is, once you cancel your contract you will lose your virgin email account, you will also have no ISP.
Virgin are saying you can access your virgin email via a 3rd party, ONLY if you keep paying virgin, which you don't want to do. If you are with virgin, and you cancel, you will lose all your TV as well.

We used to have Sky TV via satellite, I cancelled the contract some 6 years ago (Cost only went in one direction) You have to send the box and remote back, but you keep the dish. I connected a freesat box to the dish, keep wondering why I didn't do it sooner.