stiff kits

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiram

Reaction score
Having past 2391 and getting more confident with PIR I have a question. My customer wants PIR and upgrade of CCU from fuse protection to MCB and RCD main switch. Should I produce EIC for CCU upgrade and PIR for inspection.

If I only produce EIC for both and show all readings etc there is no place on EIC for codings or limitations. I know there should not be codes 1 & 2 anyway but it seems a bit long winded to produce 2 certs.

hiram

i think i would do the pir first (and charge for it) so you can then estimate for any remedial work along with the cu upgrade.

RDC main switch?? not really minimizing inconvenience...

whats (sorry if im being thick) a stiff kits?

Agreed wast of paper doing PIR & EIC! :eek:

THINK OF THE TREES! headbang

Many people on this forum talk about doing PIR before a CU change...

personally I never do..

If the customer knows they want a cu change I just work out the price for doing the CU & reasonable tests.

Issue an EIC.. if there are any significant observations I just write an additional page of information, then where it says "comments on existing installation" I write a note saying one additional page of observations attached.

NIC forms also have boxes for total page(s), i.e. 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3 etc..

so if I have added an extra sheet.. it becomes 1 of '4' etc..! :) ;)

e.g.

If I think I need 5hours to swap the CU..

and there are 7 circuits..

I quote, 5 hours plus 1/2hr per circuit for testing.

I cannot see the point in disconnecting a circuit to PIR it.. put it back on again.

then a few days later come back and actually take it back off again to change the CU? :p :( ?:|

IMHO just take it off once do ye ode dead tests..

then put it back on the new CU! ;) & do live tests!

Save the customer time & money! :D

IF there was some really weird problem that was causing issues with RCD's all I would do is just put standard MCB's on as an interim measure until fault fixed...

but saying that..

I have never come across an issue that couldn't be suitably resolved whilst doing the CU visit!

Guiness Drink

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to quote you but a good post.

What you do is more or less how I do it, never thought to post it though as you have and it may help others to follow a routine to get the job done in the best way.

Thanks for that mate

Not going to quote you but a good post.What you do is more or less how I do it, never thought to post it though as you have and it may help others to follow a routine to get the job done in the best way.

Thanks for that mate
hmm!!!!! :)

"great minds think alike?" ;)

Maybe? :)

Applaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

hmm!!!!! :) "great minds think alike?" ;)

Maybe? :)

Applaud SmileyApplaud Smiley
Well you may have a great mind but I am just lazy and do not see the point in doing the tests twiceBlushing

Latest posts