Switch controlling override switch?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The red and black in the pic wired into L1 & L2 are coming off the same cable and coming from a live feed from a linear light

What on earth is a 'linaer' light?  If what you call a cable as 'live fed' is actually a Live & Neutral supply connected across L1 & L2 at the switch, then I would suggest you put your screwdrivers down and get someone who is competent enough to identify exactly where each individual wire is currently going to. As you appear to be guessing which wires are which without having any clear knowledge of what cables you need or how to connect them. Randomly connecting and powering up, could well put a nice short circuit across the wiring, which would trip your power, (possibly damage wiring elsewhere in the circuit).

Ignore what is there at the moment, back-pedal a bit and think how do I want this to work? and do I have the competence to sketch out the wiring diagram of how the switching needs to be connected. Once you have established how it should be wired, you can then start investigating if you have enough wires to connect what you need.

Wiring multiple switches to control one or more  lights as 1way, 2way, 3way or more, and/or timer controlled, movement controlled, darkness controlled is very basic design circuitry. But it is not uncommon for some people to have an inability to grasp basic series or parallel switching of a load. Can you draw a circuit of what you want it to do?

Doc H.

Meant to type linear (strip light). It’s all good, gotit working. Traced the l1&l2 cable back to the  light then from there it went back to the consumer box. Just tapped into the perm live at the light. 

So goes from light to new switch 

new switch to solar

solar to downlights 👍🏻

Thanks for all help