Telephone Sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyjw

Reaction score
Does anyone deal with phone sockets and extensions?

I went to a job this morning and was asked if I could sort out the phones, BT had told them an electrician would be cheaper.

Currently they have a BT line from the pole to the house terminating in a small box at high level. From this is what looks like grey bell wire going through a vent in the wall and hanging down inside the house into a master socket (but not one of those with the removable front), then two plug in extensions going off into the house (both of which have been cut off during decorating at the far end!!)

What they want me to do is move the main socket and install a second one, and remove the existing eyesore. Can I go in the BT box on the wall?

you shouldnt touch anything before the master socket, and anything you do should be connected to the removable side of it. if your going to do it, use an NTE5 box and CW1308 cable if req'd

Andy C is correct; but, like sky installers, the cable isn`t always installed aesthetically.

Would concur with both of the above posts - technically, you can`t do anything to the cable before the master, but in the real world many of us do. Ensure it`s done correctly, and you`ll be fine.

Yup. If you try to call out when someone else is calling in, it`ll explode into millions of bits of razor sharp electrically charged nonsense.

Blushing]:)Guiness Drink;) ]:) ] :) ]:) ] :) ]:) ] :) :x

Yup. If you try to call out when someone else is calling in, it`ll explode into millions of bits of razor sharp electrically charged nonsense.Blushing]:)Guiness Drink;) ]:) ] :) ]:) ] :) ]:) ] :) :x
That's ok then!

Seriously, other than having a second point for plugging a phone in and more difficult access to the incoming wiries is there a difference?

I havn't even got a proper master socket. The BT man had run out - he fitted a normal double socket. Does it matter?
I think you will find you do have a master socket...

e.g. it includes the bell capacitor & the surge protectors inside it....

it may not be one that can be opened up to isolate any extension wiring..

but its still a master, (single or dual outlet).

:)

I think you will find you do have a master socket...e.g. it includes the bell capacitor & the surge protectors inside it....

it may not be one that can be opened up to isolate any extension wiring..

but its still a master, (single or dual outlet).

:)
ah - mr BT man said he's run out of the proper ones so I assumed it was something inferior!

Thanks Specs :D

That's ok then!Seriously, other than having a second point for plugging a phone in and more difficult access to the incoming wiries is there a difference?
Secondary sockets do have Bell capacitor & surge protector... :D

cut these out of a Master & it becomes as Seconday...

or solder them into a secondary... & it becomes a master.

; \

Does anyone deal with phone sockets and extensions?I went to a job this morning and was asked if I could sort out the phones, BT had told them an electrician would be cheaper.

Currently they have a BT line from the pole to the house terminating in a small box at high level. From this is what looks like grey bell wire going through a vent in the wall and hanging down inside the house into a master socket (but not one of those with the removable front), then two plug in extensions going off into the house (both of which have been cut off during decorating at the far end!!)

What they want me to do is move the main socket and install a second one, and remove the existing eyesore. Can I go in the BT box on the wall?
I do:)

but then again I was originally trained in telecommunications....

spent my younger days wiring phones etc.. to earn me dosh..

(HNC telecommunication engineering)...

IMHO the actual technical bits of connecting the phone wires are far easier than working with 230v mains or similar. :)

two wires come in from street to connections 2 & 5.

extend connections 2,5 & 3 onto all further extension sockets.

as with all work... If it is done with "Good Workmanship" & "Proper Materials",

there can't really be many problems? :)

Thanks guys, the job currently looks like its been bodged anyway. The folks have recently moved in and tell me a lot of stuff was DIY.

Thanks guys, the job currently looks like its been bodged anyway. The folks have recently moved in and tell me a lot of stuff was DIY.
Something I picked up off here was to use the solid strand wire, not the cheap extension kits which are multistranded - makes the world of difference!

Does anyone deal with phone sockets and extensions?I went to a job this morning and was asked if I could sort out the phones, BT had told them an electrician would be cheaper.

What they want me to do is move the main socket and install a second one, and remove the existing eyesore. Can I go in the BT box on the wall

Andyjw find out if they want to use broadband and where the modem will be, if you are going to rewire the telecom cables work your routes and bring back to the incoming grey pair as a junction with the master resited at a convenient point this means bt are responsible for the line to the master socket as advised by others replace the master so that any extensions can be isolated, re future faults.

Bassamn