Thoughts on 'fast-track' courses

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will offer my personal experience here. I decided to retrain in my 30's as Id moved to a new area and needed a career ( my previous business was very niche) 

Did a few courses at my local college. Don't think they qualify as 'fast track', my entry level 2330 lvl 2 was a full time 13 weeks course. Then did the 17th regs, then I was mis-sold (IMO, don't forget, lecturers need work too!) the 2392. It had just come out, and our lecturers had no idea what to teach on it, so they just taught us the 2391 material. Ive never met any prospective employer who even knows what it is. Waste of £400 (at the time, its probs more now)

I was very lucky however, as I just happened to fall in with a succession of old hands, and that's where I learned how to actually do the job, well still learning of course but got most of my practical info from them. An example - at college, we did a few 'installations' in booths where it was all screwed/clipped etc to a lovely big back sheet of hardboard/plywood. I've never come across that in the real world lol

The very first thing I was taught out of college, my sparky mate said "Anyone taught you how to get cable off a drum yet?" and no, they hadn't. At college all the cable came off cable frames beautifully untwisted. In the real world you don't always have access to a frame, so how to keep the twists out of the cable? I learned lots, fast.

And that's where I think you may have a chance. You say you have a few friends in the trade? You will need them, you'll also have to live on peanuts for a good few years. Get your face and name around, don't be afraid to take on stuff that others wont, get your hands dirty, be willing, be able, be lucky. Its a million to one shot Jim, but it ….just....might....work.

Seriously. It is a very long shot, but it can happen, if you want it enough you can make it happen. I did. All the best to you

Well said Sprocket, in college it's the ideal world, you never have pipes in your way when you want to run a conduit, or suddenly find there's a massive steel beam in the wall, right where you'd planned to drill that hole, or a thousand other things you'll encounter in real life.The cable one is a classic, nowadays a cable frame can be had for about 20 quid, not so years ago, it used to be murder having somebody drag T&E of a drum, get it full of twists, then try and clip it. I served my time in industry and knew very little about the tips and tricks on domestic, however I do remember one guy showing me how to unroll the cable on the floor of the room we were working in to avoid twists, it's a simple thing I know, but if nobody tells you these tips life can be harder than it has to be. Another one I used was to use an old tape measure as a fish, in the days before cable rods a lot of the lads used a length of trunking lid, I found the tape handy because it took up less space and was cheaper than wasting trunking ( a lot of lads used a new length on each job), maybe we need a thread on tips and tricks from us old farts, I'm sure some of the new guys would benefit. 

Steve don’t be so down beat, just because the fast track courses are a waste of your hard earned, I have advised people of your age to go to the local college and start with the correct courses the level 2 filled by level 3 + NVQ then AM2 to finish. Whilst this may take money and time you will be a better electrician for it. However many of those I have guided did the level 2 then if unable to gain regular work with a firm, went to an agency and signed up as a mate and have gained much valuable experience to assist their learning whilst securing regular work albeit on a lower wage, it also allowed them to gain a bank of contacts which are important to open doors as you become more experienced.

Oh and many agencies/firms will see your age as an advantage providing you have a good attitude and work ethic. Be patient and you will be rewarded in the long game.

Locked to prevent hi-jacking (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts