TNS Earth Clamp

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manm

Reaction score
Hi,
We just moved into a new property and needed to do an EICR certificate. On inspection by the electrician, he found out that the earth clamp was missing from the TNS system and giving a high reading of 37.9 when it should be only 0.7. He asked me to contact EDF energy to fix the missing earth clamp but EDF is not agreeing to send an engineer and are asking us to do this on our own.....
Any experience or advice would be great.

Call them back and tell them that as they supplied it on the first instance then it is there responsibility to maintain it.
Thanks..I called them again and now they are saying it is the responsibility of British Gas.

You will probably find that the supplier you pay will not touch it as it belongs to the DNO, what area are you?
Bexleyheath, Kent. Did some searching, and our electricity network operator is UK Power Networks.

Contact UKPN and tell them your supply has lost its earthing conductor.

who are you paying bills to?
We have not started paying our bills yet as we needed to do our EICR first. The seller was paying the bills to EDF and British Gas but EDF informed me this morning that now it belongs to British Gas.

Tell UKPN an electrician has informed you that the earth is missing and you dont understand what he is saying just that it is dangerous and you don't know what to do.

If you haven’t completed on the purchase then there’s nothing you can really do until you complete except flag it to the sellers

Whether they act is another matter

How old is the property?

If you haven’t completed on the purchase then there’s nothing you can really do until you complete except flag it to the sellers

Whether they act is another matter

How old is the property?
Completed the purchase and got the keys this Monday. Got the electrician in on the same day and that's when he informed me about this. It's a 1930s property

DNO is responsible if its TN. also worth noting that it may actually be TT and not TNS

if it really is / should be TNS, phone DNO on 105 and report a faulty earth connection and theyll arrange someone to come fix it

as mentioned above contact ukpn and they will sort it , pretty painless really , but not quick!
i had them out last year as i realised we had no main earth terminal and a length of 1.5mm as earthing conductor with no clamp ( see photos ) i bought some meter tails and a 2p isolator and they installed them at same time , looks a bit of a lash up for my taste
i will be installing new mantel skeleton board and bring the system up to date next year when days get longer!

Attachments

• 20211021_103144.jpg
    20211021_103144.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20211109_110152.jpg
    20211109_110152.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
Does look cack but thats what they fitted due to space and Ze checked out ok , i ran in the 16mm after they went!!

Attachments

• 20221013_170355.jpg
    20221013_170355.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Some of the boxes they come in have a caution not to be used on cable sheath.

Latest posts