Towel rail contoller

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What items have you actually proved so far? And what are your test readings?

Doc H.

This is absolutely essential, I really don’t understand these electricians that profess to be professional in the trade yet time and time again fail at the first hurdle. If you don’t test anything then how do you know what you’re dealing with? We have heard from several esteemed members on another post about fault finding and the first thing that comes to light is they have actually carried out some form of testing to diagnose or narrow down the issue. 

Sure there will be times that a curve ball is thrown in and a post about it is helpful to get others input/experience but to attend a customers property and not carry out any testing is an insult to your customer then to ask on a forum with nothing for members to go on other than a customers hearsay is exactly what is wrong with this trade. 

How much experience do you have?  

This is absolutely essential, I really don’t understand these electricians that profess to be professional in the trade yet time and time again fail at the first hurdle. If you don’t test anything then how do you know what you’re dealing with? We have heard from several esteemed members on another post about fault finding and the first thing that comes to light is they have actually carried out some form of testing to diagnose or narrow down the issue. 

Sure there will be times that a curve ball is thrown in and a post about it is helpful to get others input/experience but to attend a customers property and not carry out any testing is an insult to your customer then to ask on a forum with nothing for members to go on other than a customers hearsay is exactly what is wrong with this trade. 

How much experience do you have?  
That is what worries me these days, the number of jobs I've been to and they've had a high earth loop, which a previous spark hasn't found, or when you get the MFT out and the customer looks at it and says" ooh, what's that for? never seen one of those before".

The really scary one was last year, got talking to a bloke at an event, he was a little younger than me, a short course chap, said he loved the forums because if he came across something he wasn't sure how to deal with then he'd ask on one of them!

I don't claim to be perfect, there are sparks who are better than me, there's also a lot who are worse than me, what I can say hand on heart is that I always do my best and I'll never leave an installation in a dangerous condition. I don't understand people who have test kit and don't use it, lets be honest, you can buy a lot of beer for the price of a decent MFT, if you aint going to use the tester, then you may as well buy the beer instead.

The first thing you need to know about farms, especially older ones is that they are like no other installation you'll ever work on. I
Submit this comment to memory ...it should be written into the Regs .  

I think the first thing I'd do is to chuck the controllers into the nearest skip .     Some of these hi - tech  accessories  are the work of the Devil Himself !!  

A common thing I don't like with them is they don't actually ever switch off  ..... as in  a 3mm gap etc  .   

Last edited by a moderator:
Submit this comment to memory ...it should be written into the Regs .  

I think the first thing I'd do is to chuck the controllers into the nearest skip .     Some of these hi - tech  accessories  are the work of the Devil Himself !!  

A common thing I don't like with them is they don't actually ever switch off  ..... as in  a 3mm gap etc  .   
But only if the skip is one designated for the recycling of electrical stuff, otherwise you'd have those "green" people chasing you, lol