Unions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in UNITE union for some years. Everyone in the factory was in the union and they did some good work and negotiated good working conditions and pay for us. Unfortunately they couldnt stop the place closing! Not a member now as working for a small contractor.

I was in the EEPTU many years ago , just after they got rid of the communists who were running it. The reason for joining was that we worked in car plants and engineering works which were closed shops.

The Electrician's Union did not care about members in contracting because they knew they could not (and never did) organise us for strike actions etc. They only cared about industrial sparks.

Before becoming self employed I was supervising and estimating and let it lapse .

Other than fixing our pay rates I had the distinct impression that we ,as contractors , were never really regarded as having any importance within the union.

I was in Unite also, my story is exactly the same as the Revs (wonder was it the same factory).

All Unions are highly political organisations but I would rather be in one than not. In this age of corporate greed and abuse of the ordinary worker, any little helps.

Why do you "wonder" about unions, you must be musing something ?

One of the tutors at my college asked If I had joined a union yet, So I was just thinking about it really & unite seem to be in the news a lot recently!

I know unite cover a lot of industrys but didn't know they covered sparkies.

Are there any benifits to joining other than the obvious!?(

Bloody 'ell they've changed a lot , it was the ETU when I joined and as I said , very political and run by the communists with great control over the Labour party . It then rebranded itself as the Electrical,Electronic and Plumbing Trade Union.

It became AEEU, then AMICUS, now I believe - Unite.....
EEPTU and AEU mergered to become the AEEU changed name to AMICUS then merged with the T&G to become UNITE.

No longer a union for tradesmen as there are now more non tradesmen in the union.

Yes - I was in the EEPTU back in the 80's no choice in those days as it was closed shop. Then when I was in MANWEB and the contracting side went JIB I resumed membership. Then back in the aluminium business for 8 years and back in the union (then AEEU/ AMICUS) - now I am out of it and

I was in the EEPTU many years ago , just after they got rid of the communists who were running it. The reason for joining was that we worked in car plants and engineering works which were closed shops. The Electrician's Union did not care about members in contracting because they knew they could not (and never did) organise us for strike actions etc. They only cared about industrial sparks.

Before becoming self employed I was supervising and estimating and let it lapse .

Other than fixing our pay rates I had the distinct impression that we ,as contractors , were never really regarded as having any importance within the union.
It was the EETPU after the ETU as you say in the 70s communist run. EETPU was ok and I have used them in the past,meetings were held in the old east midland electricity club in hockley back of hampton street Birmingham.

I was a shop steward for them under the EETPU in the late 80s were very good with bad managment.

I was an apprentice at Hams hall in the late 60s when the ETU had all the strikes and the apprentices were not allowed on a workingf stationat the time.

EETPU was agood union for people at the time especially with poor managers who used to try and bully people.

I was in unite - amicus, were good to me when I was a young lad getting my pay messed around. One phone cal and got it all sorted with back pay and told me exactly where I stood with my rights.

eay up lad, when I left school into an apprenticeship in the era when Deke was deciding whether to have a Black, Black, Black, Black, Black or Black 'Model T' off Henry Fords production line....... The EEPTU was the recognised Union for all of our companies wage negotiations. I can't remember anyone who wasn't in the Union....

Just one of them forms you signed and filled along with your new employment terms and conditions....

If me ole brain is still in tune.. one of the key reasons was for addition cover in the event of accident or injury at work.

As the years rolled by and take-overs and merges became the norm.. new owners basically stopped recognising Union block wage negotiations.. They went for "individual personal contracts and annual appraisal" to 'reward the harder workers'! and included Bupa medical cover etc.. etc..

You could still be in the Union if you wanted but there was less return or benefit for being in there.

Without actually applying for a new job or leaving, I changed employers three times due to acquisitions and sell offs.. can't remember exactly at which point I stopped my EEPTU membership... But by the time I final left to go self employed I certainly had no Union membership and have not had any since then either.

:|

Flashing all your name & address there Deke....Unless you have moved off course...

Apaches got the car started and is on his way over now...

should be there about 3:00am!!! :eek: :^O:^O
Your forgetting patch is a yorkshireman, expect him at 4, after he's siphoned the red diesel out of the works tractor. ;)