VDE Tools

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marvo

Gold Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For general electrical work including installation and faultfinding is it necessary for electricians to be using VDE hand tools?

I'm not a brand slut and I have a selection of tools I've collected over many years... decades in fact and whilst they might look a bit rough and random but they're all very high quality and there's very good reasons why I like every one of them and they've made it into my everyday carry bag. There's screwdrivers in several styles and from several manufacturers and various pliers in there some of which are VDE rated and others not.

Someone in a building maintenance department who doubled as their safety officer made a snide, funny/not funny comment about me using non-VDE tools on a control centre that was isolated, locked out and proven dead. Out of hand I told him to get stuffed but it's been playing on my mind whether he had a valid point or not.

Your tool kit sounds very similar to mine. And as above if you are not working live or adjacent live working then Insulated tools not required, this was the case where I used to work anyway.
Still remember in the early 80s putting insulation on our own tools as we never saw VDE kit, pyro sleaving on our screwdrivers was the favourite.

pyro sleaving on our screwdrivers was the favourite.
I still have some grey AlCuMICC sleeve on a pair of my end strippers and some clear plastic tube on my bent nose pliers. However nearly all of my tools are VDE including socket sets and torque wrenches due to the nature of what I do.
Preferred makes are Wiha, Wera, Knipex, CK, IT! Boddingtons, LEMP, Facom.
Believe it or not I have just bought a VDE cable knife from LIDL, SERIOUSLY! And it is very good
I am, however, a tool *****...it's an addiction

I mostly have vde tools, but there are some items I'm never going to be using on live gear, such as a socket set. My biggest gripe is my MC4 crimp tool for solar work. Occasionally I have had to change an MC4 connector whilst working live. Trouble is the handles are not vde rated, despite being a ruddy expensive tool, so I've bought rubber gloves to use with those.

Simple fact is most 'safety officers ' are knobs who don't understand anything much. As long as you are aware of what you are doing, and working in a safe manner, then there's little/no need for vde tools. You could also say they have possibly made the industry more dangerous as it encourages live working.

I mostly have vde tools, but there are some items I'm never going to be using on live gear, such as a socket set. My biggest gripe is my MC4 crimp tool for solar work. Occasionally I have had to change an MC4 connector whilst working live. Trouble is the handles are not vde rated, despite being a ruddy expensive tool, so I've bought rubber gloves to use with those.

Simple fact is most 'safety officers ' are knobs who don't understand anything much. As long as you are aware of what you are doing, and working in a safe manner, then there's little/no need for vde tools. You could also say they have possibly made the industry more dangerous as it encourages live working.
Careful Binky, you’ve just told people that a good pair of rubber gloves is the solution!!!

The people on site thinking Health and Safety is not necessary are the knobs and a danger to every one around them, even if what a H&S officer says in your opinion is wrong, what they have done is heightened your awareness of what you are doing and the area around you and therefore increased the Safety of all on the site.

The people on site thinking Health and Safety is not necessary are the knobs and a danger to every one around them, even if what a H&S officer says in your opinion is wrong, what they have done is heightened your awareness of what you are doing and the area around you and therefore increased the Safety of all on the site.
No one is saying not necessary, just some H&S officers are a little dumb/ over zealous sometimes.

No one is saying not necessary, just some H&S officers are a little dumb/ over zealous sometimes.

yep. some are useless

blanket must wear eye protection on site. why? you only need it in a specific area, what's the risk the rest of the place? usually a sign that those in charge have failed to adequately assess the situation and use a site wide policy rather than local to the risk

must wear fall arrest in a scissor lift. why? its scissor lift, you don't need it. and if it was a boom lift, its fall restraint, not arrest, you should be using...

I’m sorry but maybe I’m just old? But surely as a common sense human being with a brain you can reasonably see the risks to you in the immediate vicinity and take the appropriate caution?

I can’t be responsible for what someone else is doing, so should I be preparing for what they may or may not do?

I’m sorry but maybe I’m just old? But surely as a common sense human being with a brain you can reasonably see the risks to you in the immediate vicinity and take the appropriate caution?

I can’t be responsible for what someone else is doing, so should I be preparing for what they may or may not do?

you're forgetting something here though. people are stupid

It actually concerns me that over zealous safety imposition is MAKING people more stupid. Kids grow up expecting to be protected from all possible harm.
As I think someone on here says, I think that stupidity SHOULD be painful.
And that’s the truth, too much nanny state makes the people stupid.
What amazes me is that no one has the balls to say it in public authority and gladly accept whatever the H&S put out without question.

People are stupid and that stupid person may be doing something stupid behind you, H&S legislation may, just may make that stupid person think twice and save the person in front of them from being harmed, the worst thing about H&S is the attitude of those that think its not needed.

If the person is stupid then it’s likely that they won’t take notice of H&S, so I say again you can only do what you can do and not what others can do to protect you.

It's good that not everyone thinks that way or we would not have any protective measures on site's, I don't put up handrails or kick boards, but very glad that others do to protect me.

As a simple example, the Regulations have enforced better welfare facilities, they are now better than they ever have been on site and protect the workforce from bad hygiene.

Last edited: