virus

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
Hi chaps.

Seem to have a virus on my laptop. It comes on when i start up so will have to go into safemode or dos to get rid of it. Any one know how?

The virus is fbi locking ip due to illegal download.

Thanks

Not sure about ram.

Its a ransomware

It comes on when i start up so will have to run something from boot disk or something like that

Its the police warning saying I've downloaded music

If you have a gig of Ram you can retro run Ubuntu from a CD and download some windoze anti-virus that will run from RAM thus enabling it to clean the whole HDD,

Yep, 4Gig pen is way big enough, then you can put your AV onto it and it will run off 512 ram or even less, just a bit slow.

Yep, you will need another PC :|

Log in as different account user and delete old user account. It's a clever little beastie and runs lots of applications in the background to max out your RAM, preventing you from doing anything that could get rid of it. What is really annoying is how it gets past all the anti-virus and firewalls by using extremely long file name.

Doing it through another windows account will delete everything on that users account that isnt shared.

Do you want to boot Ubuntu via CD or USB stick? Simply change the boot setting, then select "try ubuntu without making any changes"

YES ! :)

If you simply delete a user account you will also delete that users files.

I'll have a search when I get home for an antivirus for you to clean your system, Ubuntu doesnt need antivirus as be default you cannot run as root/admin,

note to canoe/sidey, yes I know you can, bit its not very normal for most people.

I had a similar thing once when you switched on you got this screen telling me that my PC had been locked and would need to pay the Metropolitan Police a release fee by clicking on the button, restarted my PC in safe mode which got ride of the said screen then did a system restore to an earlier date when I did not have it and it was gone.

anything like this and i give my PC to a local repair shop. My works too important to risk my own mistakes.

Also I use dropbox which I think is a must if you want to keep your business going in moments like this.

its a free program (upto 2gb)

that stores all your documents online and can link to other computers. It only stores the documents you want it to. I save all my business stuff on it, so I can save my certs while out on the job, then pick them up on my home pc. Or my old dear can pick up my invoices at their house as she does my books.

paul, do you have an external drive?

Ubuntu anti-virus details here ,

but if you have an external HDD it would be a lot better to boot Ubuntu and copy all your files over to it, then wipe your computer clean and start again.

Latest posts