• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Talk Electrician Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted steeple mcb

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, in that case, if this is true, then you have just proved my point! ;)

These people are simply then not competent to be doing the work, thus they are committing a criminal offence under EAWR89, punishable by imprisonment.

The sooner this sort of thing is implemented the better.

Yep, but, it's wrong though, we need to stand up and be counted, to get these things changed, perhaps like I have suggested, I know that a lot of us are in business, self-employed etc. and even those employed would loose out.

However, perhaps we need to be offering our services for free to assist customers to complain successfully about shoddy work?

It is certainly something that I will be doing from now on.

Well went there today and carried out works as requested by customer, B&q did not leave a electrical installation certificate as as far as they are concerned they changed a shower which was years old that they are saying was a 10.2kw for a new style 10.2kw as per customers instructions and therefore as this was a like for like swap they wouldn't be issuing a electrical certificate, even though this is a bathroom. Makes me laugh but I have tried to get customer to complain and take this further but he has had enough of them and can't be bothered to go further. Anyway cable now at 10mm and correct size fuse installed and shower all working as it should be, even better is the fact I have now picked up over 40 down lights to install there along with other works. I did offer to write a formal letter of complaint on his behalf to B&q or go to the store with him but he just wanted it sorted quickly 

if it is a like to like replacement, then no paperwork needed, but regardless, the installation must be left in a safe condition. if they had sent a proper sparky to do the job and not some untrained monkey, then chances are the undersized wiring & MCB would have been noticed

Well went there today and carried out works as requested by customer, B&q did not leave a electrical installation certificate as as far as they are concerned they changed a shower which was years old that they are saying was a 10.2kw for a new style 10.2kw as per customers instructions and therefore as this was a like for like swap they wouldn't be issuing a electrical certificate, even though this is a bathroom. Makes me laugh but I have tried to get customer to complain and take this further but he has had enough of them and can't be bothered to go further. Anyway cable now at 10mm and correct size fuse installed and shower all working as it should be, even better is the fact I have now picked up over 40 down lights to install there along with other works. I did offer to write a formal letter of complaint on his behalf to B&q or go to the store with him but he just wanted it sorted quickly 
They have some nice downlights in B&Q!

i have never had any bad dealings with B & Q....well, that is not strictly true. There was this one time when.... :slap

The thing is the customer has proof that the old shower was 8kw and therefore not like for like which is even more proof against B&q but my hands are tied 

So B&Q are lying.

PLEAD with the customer and please take them to task over this!

Even if you do the leg work for the kudos with the client and for the good of those of us who just do it right, please.

He has the receipt for the shower and packaging from it , I am willing to do all the work for him if he gives me the go ahead to pursue this against B&q , but if he insists he doesn't want to then it's out of my hands 

I would be willing to buy a bottle of something for him if I honestly thought it would change his mind, but unfortunately he's not budging on this and I would like to not lose further work from him by pushing much harder. 

Will have another word with him Monday when I take his certificate over for today's work and let u know if I change his mind

Please, thank you.

I would not ever want you to loose a customer, but, it is the likes of work such as this that destroys the reputation of the industry, and undermines those who do things correctly.

Who's to say that the spark wasn't a young un who pointed out that the existing cable and Mcb were wrong but was told do it or you'll have no more work? 

Ultimately B&Q shouldn't have any say on the electrics.   

I don't dispute that sidey, I'm not saying it's correct however B&Q are in the business of profit and really don't give a monkeys whether it's right or wrong only if it's installed. 

However, Sharp, that is exactly my point.

Any business has to make profit, profit is not a dirty word.

However, IMHO they should be made to be totally compliant with ALL legislation and legal requirements before they are allowed to make a profit, and if not then they MUST be brought to task because they are destroying the industry.

By persuading, and helping customers to complain, if necessary without charge to them and at cost to us.

Tonight I have made the decision that I will now do this from this point forward, I will give my time & resources to assist customers to bring complaints against dodgy work without charge, for private domestic clients.

Now I don't have many, so that may be an easy decision for me, but if we all did it then perhaps a difference could be made?

Latest posts