Water Bill , nationwide survey

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The high cost is probably more about fixing all the leaks and creaking infrastructure after little or no investment for 50 odd years ... and the size of the area versus the numbers of users
yep it's all that and the inability to centralise sewage disposal from lots of small coastal villages. What really gets me though, is that having bumped up bills to cover investment work, SWW is running a major debt ie they have borrowed the money, which just means we are paying interest on the loan as well as paying for the work. But tourism is an issue as it puts a lot of pressue on water supplies ans overloads the sewage system. Basically the population of places like Cornwall can more or less double in the school holidays, so we end up paying for the oversized capacity.

yep it's all that and the inability to centralise sewage disposal from lots of small coastal villages. What really gets me though, is that having bumped up bills to cover investment work, SWW is running a major debt ie they have borrowed the money, which just means we are paying interest on the loan as well as paying for the work. But tourism is an issue as it puts a lot of pressue on water supplies ans overloads the sewage system. Basically the population of places like Cornwall can more or less double in the school holidays, so we end up paying for the oversized capacity.

A "tourist" tax for all the services would be a sensible step forward ............ charging it fairly could be a bit tricky ......

A "tourist" tax for all the services would be a sensible step forward ............ charging it fairly could be a bit tricky ......
it has been mooted several times, but then all the holiday let / caravan parks moan like hell. Personally I would like to see a holiday home tax on houses, the amonut of proerty now empty for 50 weeks of the year is rediculous - it's killing the seaside towns and villages and causing problems getting crew for lifeboats or fire engines.

It would be a lot easier if they concentrated the water so you don't need as much.

Then you just have to dilute it before you use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
it has been mooted several times, but then all the holiday let / caravan parks moan like hell. Personally I would like to see a holiday home tax on houses, the amount of property now empty for 50 weeks of the year is ridiculous - it's killing the seaside towns and villages and causing problems getting crew for lifeboats or fire engines.

And you can bet that they have water meters, making huge savings, so putting higher costs on the residents .............