What do you do?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually ADS, I WOULD test all fixed loads "turned on" as it were.

As these are the ones that can cause issues, and, lead to the householder saying that "it was OK before you changed the fuse box", type of comment.

If the customer is getting a bit irksome, then perhaps in the interests of customer service, you should disconnect the immersion at its terminals and make safe.

See if the board trips then re-connect each core, one at a time, earth, N then Ph.

That way the customer can see for themselves that as soon as the power is applied the RCD trips, unless that is it's an N/E fault.

BTW, I am TRYING to be helpful.

If you wish to be abusive that is your choice.

If you feel that I have been out of order on this thread, then perhaps we should have a forum poll on your attitude to the responses on this thread my attitude to your questions on this thread?

Take your pick.

I have NOT in any way suggested that you are incompetent, cannot do the job, or wrong in what you are doing.

I have merely asked questions and suggested options, yet it seems that you have an issue with that?

I did not read the thread post by post from when it was started, as I only came in part way through, and skimmed the posts to date.

I posted to try to help, but it seems you did not want this???

I'm now at a loss to see what you want?

I have tried to help and you suggest that I am not trying to help as I see it and you suggest that I would not do the tests that I suggest?

I don't know what you want or are looking for TBH!

What are you wanting to do?

What answers do you want?

What do you want to be suggested?

I don't know, I can only suggest what I would have done/would do in this situation, however, I am not on site, I don't know all the in's & out's of the job.

Please come back with some constructive suggestions?

Is this what grown Professionals should be acting like? I'd have thought that this thread would have been dealt with in the first page at most. ADS you posted a fault which you diagnosed then instead of dealing with it in a professional manner you danced around the customer. Your choices are surely prove you had done no way caused the board to trip and diagnose the fault, in this case the faulty element, offer the customer the choice to either disconnect or replace. Beyond that the rest is pointless drivel. You would of aided yourself by indicating in writing that by changing the board latent faults may be exposed and cause nuisance tripping etc.

The crux is you test according to what your interpretation of the BGB says, as it is you who would have to justify your actions should something go wrong.

As for the comments of 'who's in the in crowd', these are akin to a school playground and really should be left there. If you are not happy with the replies you receive first look at your approach and style then secondly accept that we humans are all different and will interpret the written word according to our individual morals and characteristics. Therefore what might be right to one may not be to the other.

If we were all a little more open minded then we might all learn something, and maybe all get along!!

If we carry on going round in circles I shall shut the playground (this thread)

I like that - The Playground

8fI7zm7RXHs

I always imagine this theme when threads go downhill dunno why...barking mad probably the reason

BTW, I am TRYING to be helpful.
Thank you.

If you wish to be abusive that is your choice.
I haven't been abusive to you.

If you feel that I have been out of order on this thread
I don't - I have questioned your responses/criticisms - that's all.

I don't know what you want or are looking for TBH
I stated what i wanted in post number 4:

OK, to keep this short - I know you could come up with lots of suggestions for the fault, along with lots of different solutions, but lets say the customer doesn't want to pay out for more work.

What can I do, as the spark who fitted the now-tripping, new board?
--

Sharpend, I haven't had dealings with you before, you are fairly new, so....

I'd have thought that this thread would have been dealt with in the first page at most
Quite correct - and it was!:

OK, thanks chaps.I got the job through a gas fitter/plumber anyway, (he's fitting a new shower), so I'll inform him of the situation and see what he wants to do about it.

I'll just stick it on an RCBO for now, so it's not causing the added inconvenience of tripping other circuits when it does go.

Cheers.
-

As for the comments of 'who's in the in crowd', these are akin to a school playground and really should be left there. If you are not happy with the replies you receive first look at your approach and style then secondly accept that we humans are all different and will interpret the written word according to our individual morals and characteristics. Therefore what might be right to one may not be to the other.
Being fairly new you won't realise that this goes back a long way - it's one rule for certain members and another for the members of the clique.

You may think it's 'school playground' but you won't think it's so funny when it happens to you.

If we were all a little more open minded then we might all learn something, and maybe all get along!!
Quite.

ADS:

I attempted, in my post, to calm the situation, and provide constructive advice.

The only thing you take from my post is that I`m part of a clique, and you`re not surprised..

Well. I AM surprised. Probably shouldn`t be, after this long, but I am. Surprised at the way you had already decided, in post four, to find a way to circumvent the protective device`s warning; rather than dealing with the problem; which you`d already located!!! Surprised that you post this, then act hurt and picked on when others don`t agree with your methods or comments.

This isn`t the first time you have (tried to) turn a thread into a slanging match with one or more other members - but it IS the last.

Leaving the thread open serves no further purpose. And, to save you time - if you start a thread about your thread being closed - I will remove it.

Playtime over. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.