What On Earth!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary Wright

Reaction score
Hi all 

I have taken the ceiling rose down leaving the three bare wires to be connected to my new pendant lamp. I have got a connection block all ready and joined to the three ceiling wires Earth, Live and Neutral. The pendant lamp cord only has two wires Live and Neutral so is it ok just to leave the earth lighting circuit wire connected to the block without any thing connected to it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

Gary

Thanks Blue Duck

When you say ..."as long as the earth's are connected together then all is good" but I only have one earth wire and all I've done is connected it to the block with nothing attached/connected to it?

Please clarify - thanks in advance

POWER TO THE PEOPLE 

Gary

Sounds fine from what you appear to be saying, if there is only one earth wire put a bit of green/yellow sleaving on it and connect into the spare terminal block.  That way in the future if a metal fitting is used there is an earth all ready for the connection to be made into.

You were lucky Gary .... theres often a load of wires at lights ..depending on how its wired .

So as said above  , leave the earth parked in the connector in case you get a metal fitting .    All is well. 

Hi All

Thanks to everyone - I have now put the light up without killing myself and got lots of brownie points with the misses all thanks to you guys.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE 

Best Regards   Gary