When Is An Emergency Light, Not An Emergency Light?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 would be nice if you offered some opinions of your own instead of just picking holes in other peoples responses.
I think you will find I have said in quite some detail what I think should be done.

yes, everyone must be AC or they are incompetent...
Now now.  I never said that.  My personal stance is unless you can achieve a JIB grading as 'electrician' then I do not think you have the full set of qualifications to be labelled an electrician.  Now the NICEIC and others have said they will accept much less in order to boost their membership and have called this area of their scheme 'Domestic Installer'.  That for myself is not something I want to associate myself with.  Now the JIB are not the be all and end all and there are many opinions of what an 'electrician' should have in the way of qualifications but while everyone else may be up for debate, following the JIB route to becoming an electrician no one can say you are not qualified.  

The JIB told me many years ago that I would never ever work in the UK again as an electrician, (I went overseas before I done all my "JIB" exams,

When I came back to the UK a fews years ago they told me I could have a card if I paid them a ridiculous amount of money,

So how is that any different from the rest of the scams,? 

The JIB told me many years ago that I would never ever work in the UK again as an electrician, (I went overseas before I done all my "JIB" exams,

When I came back to the UK a fews years ago they told me I could have a card if I paid them a ridiculous amount of money,

So how is that any different from the rest of the scams,? 
We are hijacking this thread now.

Now now.  I never said that.  My personal stance is unless you can achieve a JIB grading as 'electrician' then I do not think you have the full set of qualifications to be labelled an electrician.  Now the NICEIC and others have said they will accept much less in order to boost their membership and have called this area of their scheme 'Domestic Installer'.  That for myself is not something I want to associate myself with.  Now the JIB are not the be all and end all and there are many opinions of what an 'electrician' should have in the way of qualifications but while everyone else may be up for debate, following the JIB route to becoming an electrician no one can say you are not qualified.  

My sentiment exactly. 'Approved electrician' used to mean JIB graded.

I think you will find I have said in quite some detail what I think should be done.
well I must have missed it then cos I can't see anywhere where you have spelled out anything of interest. Perhaps you would like to give us all a full run down praceed version so we can all enjoy the wonders of your peals of wisdom.

Who said I am an Electrician, primarily I am an Electrical Engineer, and as most here know, yes I do have the professional qualifications and registrations to be graded as an Engineer, and that includes in Countries where Engineers are regulated and protected in law.

Mr Essex  ,  You have stated that my post was incorrect in saying that a 1 hour duration exists for certain premises ...I have furnished the proof by printing the table from the IET  booklet .

Are you still of the opinion that all premises have a 3 hour duration  ? 

I think your being a bit harsh on Essex1. Your both right and both wrong, its all down to the wording. If Evans  Electric had said it was a 2hr duration fitting then it would have been ok, but if it was a 3hr fitting that only lasted 2hrs then that is a fail and Essex1  is correct. The same differences in a few posts here.

And still a fail even in a commercial premises where 1 or 2 hrs evacuation is needed.

I see your point Slippery but it has already occured where I tested emergency fittings ( all fitted by me)  for the full duration last year .  All the little 8 watt jobbies did well over 3 hours ...... all the Twin Spot car spotlight ones did 2 hours .  

As the recommended duration is 1 hour for that place , to me it was a pass ...they met the required escape duration.    However I made my feelings known , via the wholesaler , to the manufacturers , I can do no more. 

As I remember , the manufacturers showed as much interest as the Waffen SS would in joining the Boy Scouts.

Latest posts