Which Consumer Unit?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its plain daft if the CU is mounted at Part M heights, unless its in a cupboard.
I'm not against it, I'd rather sit on the floor to work on a CU than stand on some steps! Just saying it isn't a requirement

From Part M - 2015

Services and controls
To assist people who have reduced reach, services and controls should comply with all of the following.
a.Switches and sockets, including door bells, entry phones, light switches, power sockets, TV
aerials and telephone jacks, serving habitable rooms throughout the dwelling have their centre line 450-1200mm above floor level, as shown in Diagram 1.5.

b.Consumer units are mounted so that the switches are 1350-1450mm above floor level

Every day is a learning day!

I think its plain daft if the CU is mounted at Part M heights, unless its in a cupboard.

just saying!
Unless you are disabled then it would be seen the other way around.  Calling someone round every time the RCD board trips.

Was this from a random Google result or is it listed on the gov.uk site somewhere? If you follow the planning portal to the correct place you get the 2013 version, which means to me that the 2015 version is not yet in force.
states in force 1st oct. might not have been updated on planning portal website which is why i didnt see it either

Hmmmm.....

Not at all.  Obviously I always knew it meant CUs too but they needed to clarify it for all you lesser mortals.......  xxx

Although they (gov.uk) have hidden it so no-one can find it, so maybe it is a test, or challenge?

Obviously my electrician is ahead of the game because he specifically said the consumer unit switches cannot be over 1450.

I didn't like the fact that the light switches are so low (1200 as mentioned I think) as I am unused to it, but ultimatley I can see the reasoning for both being reachable for a disabled person (e.g wheelchair user).

Really my options are

a) leave it where we originally said, not in the location I want but try and move it up (which will mean having to be reasonably tall to access it).

b) move it to the location I want where it being ugly is not so much of a problem but then we come back to whether we can do this or not which I need to discuss with him.