Which Cps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othen

Reaction score
Good morning,

I've recently become a landlord, and coincidentally have both 2382 and 2391 qualifications from a previous life. A property I have acquired could do with a few notifiable jobs, and the local council charge £310 under the building regulations. It would seem that (although I don't normally practice as an electrician) it may well be worth registering with a CPS as I'd save money on just one job, and would then be able to self certify for anything else that came up. I might even take on the odd electrical contract as well.

STORMA seems to be the cheapest Part P self certification scheme, I was wondering whether anyone had any experience of that organisation (or indeed could recommend a less expensive scheme)?

Best wishes,

Alan

Sorry, STROMA, not STORMA.

Alan

Many thanks. I can't find any reference to the 'Just8' membership on the NAPIT site, the last mention of it seems to be on a PDF from 2006. I have sent NAPIT an email and will report back...

Alan

Hi NozSpark,

Yes, I have a Metrel MI 3000. I have been using it for the odd house survey (I'm largely retired, but keep my hand in with a few jobs).

The other cost which may sway whether it is worth joining a CPS is liability insurance. If I am only working on my own properties (which each have public liability insurance in their own right) then it is hard to see why I'd need liability insurance (perhaps just in case I decided to sue myself) ; I'm not sure whether a CPS would accept that argument though. STROMA is checking.

It seems a pity that there does not seem to be any middle ground between doing nothing and full time electrical work.

Alan