why are some customers just ********s?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan.

Reaction score
Long story short, been doing a garage conversion job for a nightmare customer who's always changing things, got it up to the plastering stage and are waiting for a window to be made then will go back and finish it all off.

Plasterer had sockets off to skim the walls and they've been left off for a week now, no phone calls complaining about them, till today when I get a call saying there's live wires hanging out everywhere so i go round to investigate and find the light switch off the wall with 1 wire that has been taken out for reasons unknown so put it back.the sockets are off the wall so I asked if they wanted me to put em back as the husband was painting the walls.

The husband told me to leave em off as he will be painting round them later anyway.

Got a visit tonight from the lady of the house calling me a bloody cowboy and telling me she doesn't want me on the job anymore!!!WTF?ask why she tells me there's been dust everywhere , her house is a mess and IVE! IVE! left live wires everywhere.

I explained about my conversation with her husband but it fell on deaf ears and told me I'm a cowboy and shouldnt be in buisness.i offered to go round that minute to sort it but was told not to step foot in the house again!! and she wanted her money back!!!

Where do I stand on this? I know all the sockets were on when i left and its been nearly 2 weeks since I was there.all through the job ive had a feeling this one was gonna be trouble but never expected this.

Man I'm ****ed off now

Difficult one Dan.

Have you been paid for work already done here?

If so, then just walk away, and put it down to experience.

Some customers are difficult to please, regardless.

The Godfather

at the point where im even with regards to money.not made out not lost nowt.

she kept sayin ill get a letter from her solicitor if i dont refund her.

and was hinting about sueing me for electric shocks???

at the point where im even with regards to money.not made out not lost nowt.she kept sayin ill get a letter from her solicitor if i dont refund her.

and was hinting about sueing me for electric shocks???
Was the installation left in a safe condition (by you)?

Don

Sounds like the issue may really be with the plasterer, reading your opening post, again.

Don

she dont see it as the plasterers fault i should have gone round to put em back!! even tho i knew nowt about it.my dad was there on sat just gone to meet the plumber and nothing was said then.sounds like an excuse to me.

can you get the plasterers number though and have a chat with him... he could back you up... or even better get the plasterer to write you a letter

hmmm could do yeah first time we ve used him tbh. did a good job of the skimming

she dont see it as the plasterers fault i should have gone round to put em back!! even tho i knew nowt about it.my dad was there on sat just gone to meet the plumber and nothing was said then.sounds like an excuse to me.
If you have done a reasonable job and have good reason to suspect other parties and or indifferent/awkward customer creating the situation then,

In my humble opinion, no refund should be given, but keep us informed if there are any further developments against you.

Don

something like this tho can never be proven either way,nobody did get any shocks, i never leave bare wire at the back of sockets so it would be hard to get a shock unless you really tried surely??

not to blow my own trumpet but its a first class job all round, even tho things kept being changed.makes me mad how people can be gits.

just tell him what happened , if he is a good lad he will help a fellow trades man out. just sounds like you need to prove that you left it in good condition, written is always best though... you can not prove conversations

this could help you a lot if she tries to report you...

but also be warned, if she does let you finish job off, make sure you get her to sign something to say that she will pay you on completion other wise she could take you for a ride.

Good luck

just tell him what happened , if he is a good lad he will help a fellow trades man out. just sounds like you need to prove that you left it in good condition, written is always best though... you can not prove conversationsthis could help you a lot if she tries to report you...

but also be warned, if she does let you finish job off, make sure you get her to sign something to say that she will pay you on completion other wise she could take you for a ride.

Good luck
Sound advice Danny

The Godfather

She might have planned this from the outset?

Sounds like she is just trying to get out of paying you?

I don't think the plasterer will back you up as it will leave him open to liability (although it is worth asking him).

I would get hold of her Husband and explain to him what she said when she visited you. - see what he says.

When you said that she was a pain of a customer (and maybe you should do this on all jobs) you perhaps should have taken pics of the jobs that you have done. (shows that sockets were ON when you left for the next tradesman).

I think that she is blowing wind that she probably won't take you to coat.

While it is fresh in your mind. make a "Transcript" of ALL conversations, words said, who said them, times, dates, where they were said, all threats, your visits after the tradesman etc.

Good Luck (Not that I think that you need it).

Admin.