Wireless smoke alsrms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Venture!

Reaction score
Have any of you guys installed a wireless linked smoke alarm system? I'm doing the electrics on a three story Victorian house refurb and the owner is keen to use a wireless linked system across all floors. I've never installed one before and was wondering how reliable the signalling between base stations is. 

You say linked smokes but mention a base, do you mean linked wireless smokes or do you mean wireless fire alarm system?

Either way I've fitted both in large properties and buildings with 2' thick stone walls everywhere. I have had no problems with either, which you shouldn't if the system is designed and installed properly.

Thanks Lurch, it's a wireless smoke alarm system (Aico) that's been requested and it was the thickness of the walls that concerned me. Mind now at rest! 

I've fitted a couple of Aico wireless systems, mains and battery powered. The newer stuff is all plug in modules so just pick the Ei160 detector of choice and then plug the wireless module in the back or buy the battery alarms and fit and forget (10 year lithium battery, which is the life of the detector anyway).

They also do meshing so they are pretty good in old buildings, but even if signals are low you can easily boost the strength by just adding a couple of detectors in the mid point.

I think you may be over thinking this, as they mostly go in halls and on landings - so the RF just has to transmit through the floor/ceiling.... and if you have any "away" from the hall / landing just try and keep them as close as possible and where feasible in line with doors....

Same as above I've used the Aico systems & never had any issues, where as the Kidde units I fitted for a customer (he purchased them as the were cheaper than my quoted Aico unts) packed up inside a year, with three head not setting off the others.

Cheers guys. Being of the "older" persuasion I've always fitted wired linked alarms but have to stop being so suspicious of anything that doesn't have a bit of copper carrying all those lovely signals! 

:Blushing

Another vote for Aico Wireless bases. I have used them when the logistics of getting a physical link wire from A to b is nigh on impossible, and that usually means through a thick stone wall, and they just work without question.

I've used these in a really weird.house a good few years ago...

Imagine a house on top of a bridge with a track going over the top of the bridge and the ground floor of the house straddling that... each side was effectively 1up, 1down with a link room going between the upstairs rooms

This property has 2' thick stone walls and the Aico Rf bases worked perfectly

Remember you still need a permanent feed for them. I've seen lots of them wired into the nearest light with only a switched feed.

One of his DSS rental properties,? :C

This is the main pad ;)

slider-mostyn-hall.jpg.2937b9fc6b3b975f948b96ed28be7054.jpg

The own a hell of a lot of Llandudno and the North Wales coast!!!!

There's also a "bridge link" between the top two rooms!!!

Here's something funny about the job.....

Obviously this is a single skin building and the floor will also lose quite a bit of heat

During the refurb they asked Cadw if they could put some insulation on the floor before tiling.... Cadw said "No, you'll have to use bigger radiators if it's too cold"

Only the outside is listed

I think you may be over thinking this, as they mostly go in halls and on landings

Unless the house has halls, landings and stairs at both ends with several 2' thick stone walls in between (which I have come across more than once).

Remember you still need a permanent feed for them. I've seen lots of them wired into the nearest light with only a switched feed.

This is where the lithium battery units come into play, just fit them to the ceiling and job done, no wiring needed. I've fitted a few of the sealed lithium powered CO units for rentals and added a radio base to the existing detectors for landlord upgrades.

Latest posts