Wiring a consumer unit from a cutout

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder what the OP's up to?

Clueless homeowner?

Clueless builder?

Clueless "spark"?

The obvious solution, especially relevant as its for a builders supply is to get it installed, testes, and certified by a competent person ............
You forgot 

Clueless grower

This thread cannot be a real situation; the terminals are fully labelled and you would only need to google images of consumer unit wiring to see where wires go.

The approach and terminology seem to be designed to raise the hackles on any electrician, it would be best just to allow the thread to do what it wants and not get annoyed about it.

If it is not real it is immaterial, if it is real I am sure we will stop hearing from the poster fairly soon because of the hazards to which he is exposing himself and others.

This thread cannot be a real situation; the terminals are fully labelled and you would only need to google images of consumer unit wiring to see where wires go.

The approach and terminology seem to be designed to raise the hackles on any electrician, it would be best just to allow the thread to do what it wants and not get annoyed about it.

If it is not real it is immaterial, if it is real I am sure we will stop hearing from the poster fairly soon because of the hazards to which he is exposing himself and others.
It's easy for you to say but I've got ten different jobs ongoing we do all trades here I'm near Edinburgh and I used to know a cheap electrician but lost touch I'm on a budget this job shouldn't cost more than a tender in materials listen guys straight up I'm not putting anyone in danger I promise I've been reasonable all I'm asking for is a simple wiring diagram but if you want to gang up on me fine I think I've guessed it I was at the shed today looking again ok now it's time to raid the skip enjoy your pint lads 

It's easy for you to say but I've got ten different jobs ongoing we do all trades here I'm near Edinburgh and I used to know a cheap electrician but lost touch I'm on a budget this job shouldn't cost more than a tender in materials listen guys straight up I'm not putting anyone in danger I promise I've been reasonable all I'm asking for is a simple wiring diagram but if you want to gang up on me fine I think I've guessed it I was at the shed today looking again ok now it's time to raid the skip enjoy your pint lads 
So who is going to wire the house? or will the questions for that start coming soon?

We are not ganging up on you. There are plenty of jobs that a DIYer can do, but wiring a building site consumer unit and then the whole new house with no qualifications is not one of them.  Will you be asking us to type the EIC that building control will expect before issuing your completion certificate?

Imagine it the other way around .

Hello Builders Forum  I'm an electrician building a house .  So what sort of bricks do I use below damp  and I have to fit an RSJ  ...I'm on a budget so can I use this bit of old rusty steel I got from a skip .     I lost touch with a cheap gas fitter so  will this old hose pipe do  to feed the CH  boiler ,      I'm dropping it in the cavity  to hide it,  how do I connect it to the gas meter .  

Do I need to look a  the Building Regs ,  they're not important are they ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your name Jack ? 

So who is going to wire the house? or will the questions for that start coming soon?

We are not ganging up on you. There are plenty of jobs that a DIYer can do, but wiring a building site consumer unit and then the whole new house with no qualifications is not one of them.  Will you be asking us to type the EIC that building control will expect before issuing your completion certificate?
I'm doing the wiring and sockets it's kids stufff but I'll get an electrician to wire the consumer unit and certify as that's fiddly

Bored now..................Just to humour you....as you are obviously on a wind up .....................you might want to change the RCD depending on the size of cut out fuse & you'll want a rod (no the water or gas pipe will not tango'd well suffice & neither will the chippys screwdriver)...........not forgetting all the testing thats required.

cu 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing the wiring and sockets it's kids stufff but I'll get an electrician to wire the consumer unit and certify as that's fiddly

I suspect your cheap electrican ******** off for good reasons  :slap

In the nicest possible way James, stop working on a tight budget. Quote the works properly or you will just end up a busy fool (I've done that it's lettuced). If you quote more sensible prices you will be able to afford other trades at reasonable prices. Given the technical nature / insurance requirements/ knowledge of fiddly bits being a jack of all trades is not a good place to be, except in your own house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts