Yellow pages

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
used yellow pages for 1 year at a cost of 1600, advert was designed by there own people, saleman promised an increase of 50 % in work........... well never got a single call - i ask everyone that calls where they got my number from. most say recomendation or thompson local.

I have an advert in the yellow pages under the NICEIC page.

I have a seperate telephone for all enquiries from the yellow pages, so far I have had 3 calls.

It cost me around

if any one does put an ad in yellow pages here is a tip!

forget the aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa etc.... just use * this comes before any letters or numbers!

Most yellow pages adverts give no information, so customers resort to using a pin to decide. In my opinion an advert should give areas that you cover, some idea of hourly rates and call-out charges, scam provider/qualifications and pointers to your website. Think why someone should call you.

Other tips from YP rep - get a big enough advert so you can see it when you are holding the book in one hand ( 1/3 column close to spine not seen - but location is pot luck) and make use of the location of the advert (only the first six aaaaaa's count - but it does get you to the front of the section - there are only so many aardvark electrics!)

Our first year just completed. YP more than covered it's cost.

Yell was slightly disappointing - but we didn't understand how it works. We're in Saltash (Cornwall) so response from searches of Saltash Electricians. We got virtually no response from Electricians Plymouth because there are so many electricians in Plymouth and we came below these in the listing as electricians covering Plymouth. Bearing in mind that Plymouth has a larger population than the whole of Cornwall were on a loser from the start! We now have a Plymouth branch.

Word of mouth is kicking in now - best advertising ever - but you need to break into this in the first place - so YP and Yell seem useful. We will be monitoring more closely in future.

Google ads - not much response.

Loads of phone calls from arrogant a****oles offering to get us on the front page of Google - ignore and hang up!

Anyone use ad-words on Google???
I use them but it mainly gets you junk calls.

The biggest problem is you put you daily limit in and every click to your website costs you money. It really pees me off that every out of work spark googles for electrical companies , clicks my link and costs me money to ask if I've got any jobs going.

I've had one job (

And while I'm on !!!!!

BT Directories - phone you up saying they have work for electricians, I say great but I'm not buying any advertising. They put the phone straight down.

Ignorant barstewards - may they all get eternal toothache

Yup... be fire brigade the morra, ambulance service the day after, RNLI that day after and so life goes on for the dodgy telesales punter... someone on here (can't remeber who) had a great answer for them.

"No he's not here, wait and I'll go get him"

... and leave them on the line for however long the fire birgade, RNLI, blah blah blah are worth Applaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

I know I probably don't have to tell you but the charities involved get about 4 or 5 pence for every pound you give them

Yup... be fire brigade the morra, ambulance service the day after, RNLI that day after and so life goes on for the dodgy telesales punter... someone on here (can't remeber who) had a great answer for them."No he's not here, wait and I'll go get him"

... and leave them on the line for however long the fire birgade, RNLI, blah blah blah are worth Applaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

I know I probably don't have to tell you but the charities involved get about 4 or 5 pence for every pound you give them
ive done the hold thing many times

ive done the hold thing many times
Think it may indeed have been you Andy :) Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

I'll use it next time!

Think it may indeed have been you Andy :) Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyI'll use it next time!
possibly. although i know patch is just waiting for his chance to find something faster than me after the earlier thread, so here's your chance patch!