DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Best Cable For "external Run" For Bt Extensions

Murdoch

Guys, could do with some input.

Got a couple of BT points to add to a house - the run has to be outside and I don't have any external grade BT cable but I do have external grade Cat 5 - which should be OK

Anyone like to tell me this is a BAD idea?

It will confuse the hell out of the next bloke, so leave a note explaining the colour codes used.

I can't see why it won't work though.

It will confuse the hell out of the next bloke, so leave a note explaining the colour codes used.

I can't see why it won't work though.

Why? If he takes the "customer" part off the BT master he can look at the colours and the numbers - or take the fronts off the new extensions and do the same!

I've used external cat 5 in the past and I've not been called back yet... :)

I've used external cat 5 in the past and I've not been called back yet... :)

Go,for it!

BT uses internal CW1308 if they have not got owt else, or it is raining and the van is too far away..or if they come to a job and they forgot and left the correct stuff on the last job and borrowed some of mine

Ive got some CW 1128, horrible stuff filled with jelly your more than welcome to it!

I use cat5 for all bt cabling never had any problems.

My corner shop,was selling off 305m boxes of external Cat5e a couple of months ago £25 incl

Seemed like a bargain. So i bought 4 boxes

Double covered unlike the BT 1128 and its nasty filling ( which cannot be run internally any further than its point of entry, or at least it used to be the case when imwas involved with it)

Their new "lead in cable" Is quite good...cannot remember the spec at present

I like the gel filled cable. I have a run down to my garage and even with the foxes chewing it , it still works.

cat5 is fine to use, colour coding should be similar to bt extensions for internal wiring anyway.

https://goo.gl/photos/R6okmA2ZSXoH6pAY9

For an intercom but cat 5 & beetee stuff ;)

I asked a bt guy If I could extend my phone line with cat5, said it should be fine! still not got round to doing it though...

i used cat to extend a door bell once still working fine to this day!

Archived