DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Building Regs Fan Flaps

Hytech Steve

Hi all,

I have one customer moaning about the Building regs fan flaps keep going thunk at all hours, mostly its when gusting winds create a vortex a suck the flaps open then they shut again on the springs. I cannot think of an answer apart from him taking the flaps off after I have a photo of them installed, but then he will have drafts, any idea's.

Regards Steve

Sellotape when high winds, customer problem you have complied with requirement?

Or change the fan for one with the flaps fixed to rear of fan?

self adhesive foam strips (draught excluder for doors) around the aperture might reduce the noise.

I thought that back draught flaps were a good idea for our bathroom fan. Spent ages finding one the Mrs liked. After suffering the same issue there is now a clothes peg holding the flaps open inside the ducting. Lol. Was easier to pop the grill off outside that take all the fan out inside ...

Have I missed something and this is actually a Reg and not some made up nonsense like a lot of things?

In the past I've fitted grills with cowls which are less susceptable to "clatter"

Never really had "flap unpleasantness"

I have seen some grilles where there is a cowl that directs downwards.....i think they are in the Denmans catalogue

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the idea's, might give the draught excluder a go and see. If any did'nt know the spec for fans look at Building Regs 2013

Consevation of Heat/Power. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

you could fit a fan with an electronic shutter and swap the flap vent for a grill vent

^^^^ that's what I normally fit,

Unless the customer wants cheap crap, then I tell them of potential issues and it's there problem once I fit it 

Archived