3 gang switch problems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciaran1988

Reaction score
Hi I've just moved into a new house and in my kitchen I have a 3 gang switch. 2 of the switches are for kitchen lights and the 3rd switch is for the outside light. For me to be able to use my outside light I have to turn all 3 switches on. Why is this? Thanks

Would be if you had a voltage tester and some time. 

How do the two kitchen lights operate? If you turn the first switch on does the second one come one as well? What happens if you turn the second on first then try the first switch? Alternatively switch all on then try each switch one at a time, what happens? 

It depends how it's wired. If the other 2 switches are the tail end of 2 way switching, you might not have a permanent L there at all. Sounds like some previous owner bodged it.  It might be possible then again it might not.

The other switches work as normal turn on and off the one light fixture they supposed too. It's just to get the outside light to turn on they all need to be turned on. It's a new build house too so no other owners been messing about with it

When you ring the builder to invite him back, say sweetly at the end of the sentence - ".....or I could get another electrician in to fix it and just send you the bill if you/your electrician is too busy to do it?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha looks like I'll get the builder back. Wouldn't mind trying it myself tho if it easy  enough to do as probably get it done a lot quicker than waiting for the builder to get back to me

Just a thought, does the outside light come on straight away when you hit the switch (when other switches are on) or do you notice a delay when you've stepped outside to look at it? It's not on a pir sensor as well as via the switch? 

Wouldn't mind trying it myself tho if it easy  enough to do as probably get it done a lot quicker than waiting for the builder to get back to me

If you already know how to do it why are you here asking why it doesn't work?

I think the thing here is is that it is a simple fix, but if you don't know that then it is probably best you don't touch it.

Get the house builder back to fix it, I used to do a lot of new builds and if there were any issues like this we would generally have them sorted ASAP so give them a call first thing, you might have it working within a couple of hours.

It's a simple fix if you have the experience and some test gear. BUT you will find a lot of wires all the same colour inside a 3G switch plate. At the moment ONE of then is in the wrong place.  Start messing at random and several could end up in the wrong place leaving a much more complicated mess for someone else to sort out.

Best leave it for the builder's electrician to sort out. It's not as though it's going to cost you anything, his problem.

What I don't understand is that this problem has been here for two years? Unlikely as should have been identified during original snags if not testing? 

You'd be surprised, I've come across faults that have been there for 20 odd years. It should have been caught in snagging, but I'm not surprised it wasn't.

The thing is when you test a new house you kind of assume a few things, like if this was an EICR on a property you had never been to before you would identify what all 3 switches do so you know how many points to put down and what needs testing. As this is a new build you would just know what this switch does so wouldn't even check it, you could pretty much fill the entire form in before doing anything and then just run round and grab the readings.

Oh please Dave tell me you know better than to do that :shakehead , the idea of not testing a multi gang switch multiple ways for correct operation is just mindless, for how long it'd take it's not worth a return trip.