Full Circle

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portsmonkey

Reaction score
I started my apprenticeship in 1975 with a company called Rashliegh Phipps (who I believe are still going under the Trafalgar House company?) I obtained my City and Guilds A and B certificates, I then started on my C Certificate (Design and install ???? ).

Once completed I carried on with the company working mainly in the City of London, big bank refurbs, new builds, mostly banks and big finance companies. In late 1981 I started my C Certificate (technicians Cert it was called then).

I was part of the design and install team for the then Nat West Tower in London.

I had a big rethink about my future, mostly about getting older and working all hours on sites.

I decided on a career change, solely for my financial security in my later years. After 30 years service I retired in 2012 with a decent lump sum and a very good pension.

Got bored and became a part time postman for something to do and keep me out of trouble. I also went back to college and got my 17th Edition.

Now it has turned full circle :)

Been offered a job with a local company, who are expanding and are very busy. I achieved this by putting out some feelers on various forums and web pages.

3 - 4 days a week, with the option of doing more hours.

Be rude not to really.

Now is it worth my time and money to go back to college yet again and get the Verification and Certification qualification?

It has been a very, very long time, but I think I have forgotten very little. Can still run Conduit, Tray, Trunking and Pyro. Can still make off Pyro and Armoured etc etc.

Any input would be good, even if it is to take the piss :)

we wouldn't dream of taking the piss  :slap

You don't need 2391 or what ever they call it these days to be competent to test, but it might help you get a payrise and move away from the 'heavy work', which may suite an older person like yourself. I've got ******** shoulders, creaking knees and a bad dose of tennis elbow in both arms at 52 which has forced me into re-thinking what I'm doing. I certainly don't want 40 hours a week of house bashing. Maintenance and high value work like solar panels is what I'm focusing on currently.

we wouldn't dream of taking the piss  :slap

You don't need 2391 or what ever they call it these days to be competent to test, but it might help you get a payrise and move away from the 'heavy work', which may suite an older person like yourself. I've got ******** shoulders, creaking knees and a bad dose of tennis elbow in both arms at 52 which has forced me into re-thinking what I'm doing. I certainly don't want 40 hours a week of house bashing. Maintenance and high value work like solar panels is what I'm focusing on currently.
LOL, yep I am 58 and totally agree with you mate. Luckily, a lot of the work he wants me to do is maintenance and fault finding on behalf of 3 big estate agents he has just got on his books. So, if I decide to start crawling around in lofts etc then it will be my choice. Which is nice :)

I'd forget any more college stuff  TBH   . Take the job , earn a few bob.    You know your limitations  , work to them  .

I'm older than you ,  semi-retired  , work 2 or 3 days at the most ,  knees are shot  .  If I rewired an occupied house now I'd probably never walk again .  But small extensions , board changes , bit of maintenance at a printers , keeps the grey cells sparking . 

You may find they become grateful for your experience .  Not many of us left who can still make pyro ends off . :innocent  

Last edited by a moderator:
You can actually make an end off without the right tools  ,  crimping the seal into the pot is the worst bit. 

Ring it off with a Stanley knife  .....    peel off an inch of copper sheath ,  wrap it round a long screwdriver and wind it off to the ring .     Fit gland & pot usual way ....  then seal can be crimped  by tapping an indent with a  screwdriver  or sometimes with sidecutters  .  

Its a blast from the past these days.  

I'd forget any more college stuff  TBH   . Take the job , earn a few bob.    You know your limitations  , work to them  .

I'm older than you ,  semi-retired  , work 2 or 3 days at the most ,  knees are shot  .  If I rewired an occupied house now I'd probably never walk again .  But small extensions , board changes , bit of maintenance at a printers , keeps the grey cells sparking . 

You may find they become grateful for your experience .  Not many of us left who can still make pyro ends off . :innocent  

Yeah, I am a bit creaky, although in my current job I walk 6 miles a day, which helps  :B

Yep can still make off a Pyro end, although I think the tools have changed slightly. Ringing tool, side cutter to wrap the stripped end down to the cut, then a crimper. I surprise myself sometimes.  ROTFWL