are my wall lights class 2?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NICK-HOW

Reaction score
i have a steampunk style wall light (bought new acouple of years ago) which i was planning to fit in my bathroom but on inspection it as only 2 wires but the existing light as 3 (the whole house was rewired 4 years ago) can i fit my new light? do i just not use the earth wire or is it possible to fit earth to the light fitting ? thanks nick

Hi Nick, welcome to the Forum. Is the light CE marked? Does it have a box within a box symbol on it? And what do the installation instructions say?

Sorry for the Qs  but we need to know whether it is legit or lashed together. 

For a bathroom, it is not a matter of whether it's class 1 or 2, but what it's IP rating is, and which zone if any the manufacturer has rated it for.

You can use class 1 or class 2 lights in a bathroom if the manufacturer says so.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I understand your post correctly you have a cable going to the light which has a live, neutral and earth, your new light fitting has no place for the earth.

So if the light is suitable to use in the bathroom, and you come to connect it up, power off, make sure the Earth wire has a bit of sleaving on it and then put a small bit of terminal block over the end of the wire ensuring that there in no copper showing and then just tuck it neatly at the side of the other connections.

Again please ensure power is off before you do any work.  If there is more than one cable make sure you mark where all the wires connect into and take a photo.

If in doubt at all please ask for advice and don't just guess.